Goodbye Puckbug, Puckaroo, Pucker, PuckPuck

Byesweetheart

It’s a sign of being a ferret owner that upon getting a diagnosis of adrenal cancer, your main reaction is relief. Ah, a treatable, well-known ferret illness that can be lived with for years while the ferret is mostly unaware of it, or at least unaware enough to spend all day chasing his brothers around the dining room in smaller and smaller concentric circles until one of them gives up and tackles him.

Trouble is, those years go by too fast.

Tonight Puck, who’s been going steadily downhill in the past month as the treatments he’s been on began failing him, had a very bad seizure in the kitchen while I was attempting to convince him to drink from his water dish. An emergency consultation with the Best Vet Ever confirmed what we’d suspected for a couple of days, that he was going nowhere good. He went to sleep just after midnight, peacefully, in Mr. A’s arms, while we petted him and told him that where he was going, there were about a billion other ferrets to chase. He was six years old and had been kicking cancer’s ass for two years, but it finally got him.

When we got Puck we’d had old, sick ferrets for a while, first Joey and then Fox and then Stripe. Having a relatively young, energetic critter in the house was something else. I posted this up during my guest stint at Tbogg this past week, because the commenters over there were asking what it was like actually living with these animals and telling them they could replicate the experience by shooting up either their puppy or their toddler with heroin and Ritalin didn’t seem to be effective in explaining things:

He loved to chase, and he loved to run around outside on his leash, and in fact just last week I took him out to the grassy spot in the courtyard of our building. He’d been kind of down for a couple of days and I thought maybe this would perk him up, some fresh air and new smells. He explored every inch of the grass, batted at the flowers, and finally just lolled on the lawn, his ears perking up every time a car or person went by, as if to say, “What’s this, that has entered my kingdom?”

I hope he was happy. I know we were, when he was around.

46 thoughts on “Goodbye Puckbug, Puckaroo, Pucker, PuckPuck

1. TheOtherWa says:

I’m so sorry for your loss. Puck had a fabulous life with you & Mr. A in the ferret managerie.

2. BlakNo1 says:

: ( I’m so sorry.

3. Shayera says:

So sorry for your loss. I loved reading about and seeing his shenanigans. I’m sure he loved being with you and Mr.A.

4. I’m very sorry to hear of this and will be thinking of you all …

5. Tommy T says:

My sympathy goes out to both of you.
    You made his wild heart happy.
    Tommy

6. Virgotex says:

Rest in peace and mischief, Puck. Glad I got to meet you. You were a luckily little rascal to have A and Mr. A.

7. Catherine F. says:

I’m so sorry. Losing a pet is just gutting. Thanks for sharing the little guy with us.

8. JCfromNC says:

So sorry to hear this. I only just “met” the little guy when you did your guest stint on TBogg, but he seemed quite the charmer. I agree with the others, he was lucky to have a home with y’all.

9. Oh I’m so sorry for your loss. Puck certainly brought a lot of light into your lives, that is clear! Losing a pet sucks big time. Hugs to everyone in the family.

10. stellans says:

I’m so sorry for your loss; a loving companion’s leaving always leaves such a hole in one’s life. 🙁

11. scout says:

I am so sorry. Puck was so cool. Hugs to you and Mr.A

12. Sandman says:

Very sorry to hear of your loss. I always enjoyed reading about Puck’s antics. My deepest condolences to your family.

13. Adrastos says:

I’m so sorry, A. I’ll miss reading about the Puckster. He was a great dingo.

14. daryljfontaine says:

Rest in Peace, Plucky Puck. Condolences, A.
    D

15. noblejoanie says:

Will miss reading of his crazy, zany antics and the happy he gave you and Mr A.
    Big hug to you both.

16. Garbo says:

Oh, A. I’m so sorry. They have such big personalities in those little bodies. Their loss leaves a huge hole in our days. What a gift they are. Thinking of you.

17. iceblue says:

So sorry for your loss. You have a big heart to give everything to the little guys each and every time.

18. Ohhh A and Mr. Athenae… ((((HUGS)))) Like all of the folks above, I’m so very sorry for your loss! It was a great cycle of love that was always going between y’all and the Puckinator. He fought the good fight, to be sure. Blessings on you, the hubs, Riot & Bucky – and may Puck rest in the arms of the Goddess – she now has a new guy to play with. I hope she has some crinkly tubes up there in the ether.

19. Such sad news for a beautiful Saturday morning. I have a feeling Puck isn’t resting in the next realm of infinitude but reveling in the infinitude of crinkly tubes, toys and billions of other squirrelz…

20. frazer says:

I’m sorry for your loss. I’m sure you gave him the best life he could have had.

21. Doc says:

So sorry about all this. You’ve always got our love and support. Glad we got out there one more time so The Midget could play with the Puck-let.

sigh. more reason to love cats. most stick around longer. tho, more ferrets to get to know + love.

23. leinie (iPad) says:

So sorry, A.

24. liprap says:

May Puck’s memory forever be for a blessing. I don’t think that’s going to be much of a problem, though. My condolences to you and your family.

25. fourlegsgood says:

I’m so sorry for your loss – do you think Puck would like a ride on Maxx’s comet?

26. Scott says:

Many, many sympathies. 🙁

27. BrenyB says:

I’m so sorry, A. You and Mr. A. gave him a wonderful life, and I have no doubt he was happy. His happiness showed in the video you posted the other day. RIP Puck.

28. Interrobang says:

My condolences on your loss. I went through something similar in January, as you know, so it’s extra sharp for me.

29. bd says:

Oh no.
    Just like when Tbogg lost his two dogs very recently, this has to come as another huge blow.
    Thinking good thoughs for all of Puck’s family, especially his brothers who I am sure are busy looking for him.
    Also, thank you for sharing the vid of Puck the other day, I had forgotten how much of a little crack weasel he was.

30. gyma says:

May the happy memories of your time together fill the hole in your hearts. Condolences to all.

31. Padre Mickey says:

So sorry to hear about Puck. May he have plenty to chase in Ferret Heaven.

32. Vicki, Who Loves Al Gore says:

Hearts and hugs to you, Athenae.

33. Spocko says:

I’m sorry for your loss.

34. driftglass says:

Very sorry to hear, Athenae.

35. greg p says:

Sorry, A. I always enjoyed reading about Puck, and it was obvious how much you guys loved him.

36. karen marie says:

For Puck, and James and Patty and Alice Springs.

37. Daize says:

So sorry to hear about your loss of the brave and wonderful Puck. My thoughts are with you.

38. mark1147 says:

So sorry for your loss, A. & Mr. A! Our animal companions bring us so much joy, but for such limited spans. Doubtless you repaid Puck’s gifts to you many times over with a superb home life, but it sure hurts when they’ve gone and left only the wonderful memories.
    Hugs and condolences to you — and may the memories of the time you shared with Puck bring you some solace.

39. Athenae says:

Thanks for all the love, guys. It means a lot.

40. CZHA says:

So sorry to hear that Puck is no longer. We all felt as though we should secure our breakables when we visited your page, because you made Puck a glorious adventure for us, too.
    Thanks for including us in his life, and for letting us know of his death.
    Best of wishes to you and all whom you love.

41. BlackSheep01 says:

Aww … Athenae. I’m sorry.

42. tesslibrarian says:

I’m so sorry. Puck is probably the best ferret name, ever. It’s a wonderful thing that you had him, and that he had you. I hope Bucky and Riot are okay, too.

43. Maitri says:

“I am that merry wanderer of the night. I’ll put a girdle round about the earth in forty minutes.” — Puck in A Midsummer Night’s Dream
    I’m so, so sorry, sweetie. Big hugs to you.

44. The Crapture says:

damn…i am so sorry to see him go…i still have days where i miss my old Shadow-kitteh quite terribly and it’s been almost a year and a half since she passed on…my condolences to you and Mr. A and (not that you need my prompting or any excuse) give the dingoes a little extra love today

45. stinger says:

So very sorry for your loss. I have loved reading about Puck and seeing pix and vid. Hopefully Riot and Bucky will help bridge the gap.