Krauthammer Feeling Threatened

Krauthammer:

There was no finer expression of belief in American exceptionalism
than Kennedy’s. Obama has a different take. As he said last year in
Strasbourg, France, “I believe in American exceptionalism, just as I
suspect that the Brits believe in British exceptionalism and the Greeks
believe in Greek exceptionalism.” Which of course means: If we’re all
exceptional, no one is.

Take human rights. After Obama’s meeting
with the president of Kazakhstan, Michael McFaul of the National
Security Council reported that Obama actually explained to the leader
of that thuggish kleptocracy that we too are working on perfecting our
own democracy.

Nor is this the only example of an implied moral equivalence that diminishes and devalues America.

God Almighty, calm down, Chuckles. Somehow I don’t see the Kazakhstan invasion as imminent. I think we’re gonna be okay, even if Obama admits we’re not perfect in front of somebody with a funny last name.

I don’t approve of Obama’s conciliatory kink when it comes to Republicans, but when it costs us nothing to say nice things about how we all have flaws, why the fuck not? If America truly is the Greatest Nation on Planet Earth, as Krauthammer would have us scream from the rooftops, what do we have to lose by being magnanimous to some “thuggish kleptocracy?”

American cannot simultaneously be the Strongest and Bestest Ever and then also be Subject to Collapse When Someone Says Insufficiently Triumphant Things.

Notice, too, how Obama habitually refers to Cabinet members and other
high government officials as “my” — “my secretary of homeland
security,” “my national security team,” “my ambassador.” The more
normal — and respectful — usage is to say “the,” as in “the secretary
of state.” These are, after all, public officials sworn to serve the
nation and the Constitution — not just the man who appointed them.

Sigh:

THE PRESIDENT:
I have just completed a
meeting with my national security team, and we have received the latest
intelligence updates.

Sigh, further, and so on.

Ten seconds of Googling. Seriously. Those editorial standards I’m always told print has to prevent false and malicious and just plain trivial commentary from getting through to the unwashed masses must have taken the weekend off.

Krauthammer continues:

Obama is not the first president with a large streak of narcissism. But
the others had equally expansive feelings about their country.

Oh, okay. So long as you consider America your BFF, you can be the Most Wondrous Preznit of All Time. Got it now.

9 thoughts on “Krauthammer Feeling Threatened

1. Spocko says:

Christ, what an asshole. Krauthammer is a blood thirsty man. His desire to expend the lives of others to serve his sense of honor is sick and tragic.

2. Gummo says:

It would be funny if psychos like ‘hammer weren’t paid enormous salaries to pollute America with their hate and fear.

3. I’m getting a little tired of the “Obama is a narcissist” meme. Like Bush wasn’t, strutting around an aircraft carrier with his jock strap stuffed with socks? Hello?
    I think you HAVE to be a narcissist to run for POTUS. Cripes, who else but a narcissist would think they should run the nation?

4. Marc says:

Oh sweet Jeebus – I clicked the link to Krauthammer’s piece at the Trib and then to make it worse I looked at the comments. Why did I do that?
    The entire “American exceptionalism” thing is such childish bullshit. It’s a do-it-yourself get-out-of-jail-free card, a note from our parents excusing us from school that allows us to just continue being oil-addicted, corporate slaves and militaristic assholes, just ‘cuz we’re so special an’ shit . . . with all our liberties and freedoms that make “them” hate us.
    Could any of the Trib commenters with their “Spot on, Charles” huzzahs and Pavlovian foaming-at-the-mouth diatribes against Democrats and Obama articulatewhy we’re so exceptional? Other than that we justare, ‘cuz we’re, you know, ‘murcans, and this is Jesus’s favorite country? And ‘murca is the best! (Boo-yah!! Soldiers say that, and I love them – more than you do – so I say it too!) And if you don’t think so you hate the troops who are fighting somebody somewhere for our freedom (so we don’t have to) and you should just go live in France, where everyone’s gay and not capitalist and rich like us and doesn’t have an SUV and where they don’t all totally love their health insurance like we do here. Raaaaaahhhh! Don’t tread on me!
    Sheesh.

5. MichaelF says:

Wasn’t the term “American Exceptionalism” coined by a (dirty) Frenchman?
    More seriously, wingnuts are even worse than exceptionally bratty nine year olds, and sorry to get all Godwin’s Law, but they ARE a Fascist movement…

6. virgotex says:

I know Krauthammer was alive during the Kennedy admin but if he had been a high profile op/ed pundit during that time, he’d have said the same crap about JFK.
    It’s just more monkey poo.

if the shithead could walk, cabbage mallet would be yosemite sam. cause being #1 isn’t just jingoism.

8. BlackSheep01 says:

Gotta remember, Kraut’s got an audience to please.
    Ain’t us, innit?

9. joejoejoe says:

Krauthammer is such a tosser. Commie Obama repeats some version of “more perfect” in just about every speech he makes regardless of the topic. He only stole the line from the fucking U.S. Constitution.