Weekend Question Thread

What food can you not live without?

There are always apples in my house. I can do anything, just give me enough apples and maybe some cheese.

14 thoughts on “Weekend Question Thread

1. Doc says:

Two words: Diet Coke.

2. MichaelF says:

Two: Olive oil and garlic. Without these, I can’t cook. With them, worst case scenario is that I can scrounge together something.

3. dancinfool says:

popcorn

4. hoppy says:

Chicken. Without chicken, which is on my menu for about 5 days a week, I doubt that I could survive. I mean, what would I do for protein? I like seafood, and eat that often, but not more than a couple of days a week. Besides, my feathers are just growing out to where I like them.

ooh, bread, meat, potatoes, veggies. popcorn(white!). coffee. omnivore wants everything, except seafood. OH OH OH. GRAVEE! (handmade ONLY)

6. virgotex says:

there’s more food I should live without than there is that I can’t…
    There always HAS to be olive oil for me too. Garlic pretty much, but even if I run out of garlice, there HAS to be onions. Shallots are even more ideal – kill two aromatics with one stone.
    This year my indispensable pantry items list has grown to include rice noodles, curry paste and coconut milk. With those on board, you can put together Curry Leftover ANYTHING. And it’s great during the dog days of summer. Nothing cools you off like hot food.

7. Does vodka count as food?

8. Croissants… and if alcohol is considered – Amaretto.
    (Abita Amber beer and root beer is a stocking standard and thus exempt)

9. Virgo, I’m coming to your house! LOL! ­čÖé

butter and 1/2 + 1/2. only moo will do.

11. MichaelF says:

Virgotex–
    Likewise onions here at my humble abode…I was really trying to keep it to as few food items as possible. If I’m allowed to add “on my grocery list whether I need it or not”– chicken broth –mmmm…water with flavor– also chick peas — good with curries and/or chicken– black beans — with shrimp or beef/Mexican dishes…and black eyed peas, but only the Trappey’s brand with Jalape├▒os…adding them to chicken and sausage jambalaya gives a nice extra zing.
    As I’ve noted here on other food weekend questions/threads: I don’t consider myself an artist in the kitchen, but do consider myself a reasonable/decent craftsperson. I like being able to put together something that at least I’ll eat.

12. BlackSheep01 says:

coffee.
    by preference Columbian, but in a pinch Breakfast Blend. For special treats Foglifter.

13. Sandman says:

Cheese. My wife recently became lactose intolerant and can’t have any cheese at all. I would just curl up into a ball and die if that happened to me. I like cheese so much, my idea of the perfect appetizer is three types of cheese covered with a cheesy crust, deep fried and covered with melted cheese. All the best dishes–pasta, pizza, sandwiches, Mexican food, french fries–are better when they are covered with cheese, glorious cheese!
    And eggs. I love me some eggs!

14. FeralLiberal says:

Onions, garlic, butter, cheese, sour cream. Fortunately I live in Wisconsin.