A Secular Nation

Newt, Newt, Newt:

The quote came from Newt Gingrich, who condemned the very idea of a secular state. “A country that has been now since 1963 relentlessly in the courts driving God out of public life shouldn’t be surprised at all the problems we have,” the thrice-married, serial adulterer said. “Because we’ve in fact attempted to create a secular country, which I think is frankly a nightmare.”

Several things. First of all, I can’t believe I’m saying this, but I actually miss Bob Dole. I miss the intelligent, high-minded Republican campaigning of the FREAKING 1990s, is how crazy this shitfest has become. They are just these total clowns, and I know I should take them more seriously, because lots of people will vote for anyone who isn’t Obama, but they’re so content-free these days that it’s easier to just sit back and watch. The craziest thing as was said yesterday, somebody will say something crazier tomorrow.

Second, when blithering on about how the government needs to get back into the God business, I wonder if these dinks consider that plenty of people IN the God business don’t want their state or federal government anywhere near them or their assets. You think your church telling you how to run your government is scary? That scenario has nothing on your government telling you how to run your church, and all those big-money megachurch pastors might not like it so much when guys in suits are crawling all over their donation boxes.

Third, oh for fuck’s sake, shut up, Newt. A secular state is reason your creepy ass could get married three times, as a state truly run by Biblical principles would of course outlaw divorce. And probably stone you for your poly-blend sport coat, too. And the most of us have been led by Republican presidents since 1963, so who appointed all those judges who are now hating on God, anyway? Just shut up, and go buy yourself something pretty from Tiffany’s. I know that always clears my head.

6 thoughts on “A Secular Nation

maybe he would like to move to pakistan.

2. Jay in Oregon says:

And probably stone you for your poly-blend sport coat, too.
    Or, y’know, stone him for adultery, cuz I’m pretty sure that’s explicitly called out in the Ten Commandments.

3. leinie says:

You know what I long for, in the good old days of the past? Besides Eisenhower era tax rates on the rich?
    When religion was a PRIVATE thing. You had your beliefs, and you tried to live your life by them, and if someone asked you about it you shared, but you weren’t out TRUMPETING IT ALL THE FUCKING TIME, HOW MORE GOD AND GODLY YOU WERE THAN SOMEONE ELSE. Or about how if the rest of the people would just get your particular flavor of God, and the mooslims and unbelievers would just go away, that would solve the problems.
    Cuz I don’t remember it being like this 30 freaking years ago when I was growing up. This insistence that this nation was founded as a Christian nation, and more God would solve all our problems, it just make me fucking tired.
    Because you know what would solve a bunch of our problems? If these fuckers would actually start LIVING what their guy Jesus was teaching. Less selfishness. More taking care of the least of these my brotheren. Less worrying about sex and more worrying about HUNGRY CHILDREN.
    It seems to me the more publicly religious this country has gotten, the more selfish.
    I’m not a believer, but these people who are? If they are right, and I’m wrong, about God, I think they have a rude awakening coming to them in that next life.
    In the meantime, I wish they’d stop trying to turn us into Iran. That secular country we currently have protects them and A is right, I don’t think they’d like the results of giving a particular flavor of Christianity the right to dictate to the rest of them.
    It’s a private thing, between you and your God. Leave it that way. And I know, the evangelical flavor requires you try to convert the world to your way, but they are just so exhausting, and I really think they’d have more luck if they tried the example/taking care of people route to conversion.
    But what do I know? I’m going to hell anyway. They told me so.

4. OkieBlue says:

If it wasn’t such a nightmare it would almost be funny to see the god freaks battle it out to determine exactly which flavor of christianity would rule the country. I don’t think they’ve ever thought that far ahead.
    Also the crazy nowadays is not to be believed. I think Goldwater would be shocked at how insane these rethugs are. As you say, the minute one says something absolutely bat shit crazy the next one has to top it.

5. Jay in Oregon says:

What a coincidence, as I was just reading this and I think it speaks to what you’re talking about: “Christians in the Hand of an Angry God” by Brad Hicks
    Part 1 – http://bradhicks.livejournal.com/118585.html
    Part 2 – http://bradhicks.livejournal.com/118805.html
    Part 3 – http://bradhicks.livejournal.com/119283.html

Back in my high school days, I attended the church with Charles Stanley as preacher (still appears to be going strong and still putting out a TV program “In Touch”. (I say this just to identify that I’m talking an icon of strong belief). Even back then, he decried often from the pulpit that America has become greedy – and identified this as a fundamental moral flaw in the USA.
    If he did that in the 70s, wonder what he thinks now.