Weekend Question Thread

I’m a lifelong insomniac. I do the thing where my brain won’t shut off and I walk around the house or sit and watch TV or pull out the laptop and read for hours because there’s just no way to make my thoughts quiet enough for sleep sometimes. It manifests in times of stress and depression especially. My father’s the same way, and my brother.

Mr. A is a night owl and can get by on a couple of cat naps, but he’ll sleep like a rock for nine, ten hours if given the chance.

How do you sleep these days?

10 thoughts on “Weekend Question Thread

1. MichaelF says:

Lucky enough to have stable employment and a steady schedule…unless I’m dealing with heartburn, I can sleep pretty easily for a full eight or nine hours, though very, very light sleep. For as long as I remember, I’ll wake up at least three or four times a night, which, among other things, means I don’t need an alarm clock…

i sleep better in winter. no A/C. for insomnia i play sheeps on yahoo or read the dictionary. i have a 60’s edition. mark w˙en somebody is dead. write down good scrabble words. ooh, found a great word-contumacious. after red scarlet letter + it is used frequently.

3. Jude says:

Surrounded by hookers and cocaine.
    It was ever thus.

4. thebewilderness says:

I go to sleep very easily at five am or pm. I don’t stay asleep very well. I am clearly in the wrong time zone. I should live in Bermuda.

Depression can really goof up your sleep schedule. Both getting to sleep and getting back to sleep if you wake up during the night. Then the interrrupted sleep plays havoc with being ready for events the next day.

6. Uncle Tio says:

Discovered recently that whisky is wonderful for helping to wind down at the end of a long day, but then wreaks havoc on my sleep pattern. Damn.

7. Henry Holland says:

I’ve had problems sleeping through the night since I was a kid, largely because I have to get up and pee every so often. I’ve been to multiple doctors and they basically all tell me the same thing “Too bad, nothing we can do”. I can not drink so much as a sip of water after 5:00 pm and I’ll be up at 3:30 am having to go. It’s insane because I only sleep for a couple of hours at a time. I’m also a nightmare to sleep with because I toss and turn so much, my blankets and sheets are all over the place when I wake up. I’ve had relationships break up because of that.
    The upside is that I have GREAT dreams, very vivid and I remember them; last night was golf-centric because I’d been watching the PGA tournament from Hawaii earlier. It’s not compensation for waking up tired all the time, but still.

8. Adrastos says:

I’ve had chronic persistent insomnia for the last 3 years or so. I can fall asleep but I wake up eons before I need to.

9. racymind says:

Try working a night shift 7 on/7 off schedule for a few years. Your biorhythms will be psycho. I must like the job, or I wouldn’t put up with it.

10. RAM says:

Lots better than before I retired. Every Wednesday night after we put the paper to bed was a time for tossing and turning as I racked my brain to remember what I’d forgotten to get in that week’s paper. Now all I have to worry about is Republicans trying to steal my Social Security, which is a lot less stressful than dealing with sports parents.