Weekend Question Thread

If you could suddenly step into the life of a movie character, which one would you choose?

Me, I don’t know whether I want to BE Becky Fuller, or just run away with her:

Despite the trailer, it’s actually a romantic comedy about a woman’s relationship with her JOB and her professional relationships. And instead of being shamed for being good at it, or loving it, she’s just shown working at it and figuring it out like any other normal person. WORSHIP. I seriously watch this thing like once a week now when I can’t sleep.

14 thoughts on “Weekend Question Thread

1. Adrastos says:

A no brainer for me as a Bogie fan but it’s a toss up between 3 characters. Sam Spade, Rick or Philip Marlowe. Here’s looking at you, A.
    I also have a sneaking fondness for Rufus T Firely.

2. Hobbes says:

Somehow the American movie industry has become really bad at making trailers for the movies that actually exist. For example, I didn’t see Up until it came out on DVD because it sounded really stupid.
    Personally, I’d like to step into Lieutenant Uhura’s life. But I am also a gigantic dork.

3. MichaelF says:

Don’t know about stepping into his life, but Claude Raines must have had fun with Inspector Renault, and I would have loved to play the role.

4. RAM says:

Pa Kettle. Always seemed to be plenty of good food, thanks to Ma, a happy family life, and not a care in the world.

5. I dunno, Lassie maybe?

6. Anna Granfors says:

Okay, since there actually was a “Doctor Who–The Movie” (its co-producer with the BBC was Fox, and thus was doomed), it’d have to be the Doctor. And I’ll settle for being either a female Doctor, or the Doctor’s companion. Only precondition is that the Doctor would have to be David Tennant, which is unfortunately not bloody likely. *Lurve* that man.

7. merciless says:

For me, it’s got to be Annie Savoy.

8. Tom Allen says:

Captain Spaulding from Animal Crackers. (Or possibly Signor Emanuel Ravelli.) But then, I don’t have to step into their lives. I live them. 😛
    “One morning I shot an elephant in my pajamas. How he got in my pajamas, I don’t know.”
    Groucho: “Didn’t you ever see a Habeas Corpus?” Chico: “No, but I see Habeas Irish Rose.”

9. Misha says:

Damiel inWings of Desire—after his fall.

i’m not a movie buff to have seen anybody.

11. montag says:

Oh, probably Walter Matthau’s character in “Hopscotch,” Miles Kendig.
    Not only to give the CIA the heebie-jeebies (and have fun doing it), but to be able to say to Glenda Jackson, when asked what I have to trade off the gin rummy debt: “Like antiques?”

12. RAM says:

Montag, I’m cuing “Hopscotch” up right now on the DVD; it’s one of my favorite movies of all time. Love it when everyone arrives at Ned Beaty’s wife’s summer home. Wish the same could happen to John Bolton. But I’m still going with Pa Kettle.

13. joejoejoe says:

Paul Newman as Sully in Nobody’s Fool.

14. montag says:

RAM, yeah, just a great scene, all the way around. Contains probably the best smirking line delivery ever:
    Beatty’s Myerson: “WHAT IS HAPPENING?”
    Waterston’s Cutter: “They’re shooting up your house.”
    As for Bolton, not to worry. I’m quite sure he’s crazy enough to eventually do it himself…