Weekend Question Thread

We’re having a few friends over at Casa Athenae today, and I’m making spinach-sweet-potato pizza, loosely based on this recipe.

What’s your favorite party food?

8 thoughts on “Weekend Question Thread

1. MichaelF says:

Anything that’s been grilled outside over real charcoal.

2. aimai says:

I used to make little goat cheese bruschetta: take very small and easy to bite rounds of french bread and lightly toast. Cover with soft goat cheese and top with carmelized onions mixed with thinly cut (not too salty) sun dried tomatoes and fresh chiffonade of basil. In the winter I make either cheese gougeres or fried haloumi cheese. Sometimes in the summer I will marinate shrimp in olive oil,salt, red pepper flakes, oregano and garlic (masses of) and then toss them on the barbecue in their shells and let everyone pick them out of their shells while sucking the sauce off their fingers.

party?

4. Athenae says:

aimai, I’mma try that bruschetta recipe. I have one that is sliced avocado, red pepper flakes, and olive oil and it’s AMAZING. And I hate avocado, I think it sucks generally.

5. Dr A says:

My go to dish is a king ranch chicken casserole for our Muses open house. Recipe loosely based on the one from Southern Living.

6. Robert Earle says:

The first sentence in the ‘recipe’ article is dead wrong – “I think we need to redefine pizza.”
    No. We don’t.

7. BlackSheep0ne says:

baguette rounds in bagna cauda sauce. (I blame Mr. Garibaldi.)
    But if I’m cooking, instead of guesting, I shoot for build-your-own burritos.
    Cooked sausage with bell pepper and onion
    Scrambled eggs
    Pico
    green chile salsa — or, for a twist, shallot-mango-cranberry salsa
    shredded smoked brisket
    shredded lettuce
    diced ripe tomatoes
    sliced limes for garnish
    stemmed chopped cilantro
    green olives, chopped
    black olives, sliced
    big flour tortillas
    and a buffet-style layout, with strawberry limeaid slush to drink

8. RAM says:

Shrimp cocktail over cream cheese. We used to get those little jars of shrimp cocktail with miniature shrimp in them; haven’t seen ’em for years. But, god, I love that stuff.