Kick, this is the Internet. Internet, this is Kick.

Apologies for the ionization blackout period, guys, and apologies for its likelihood of it continuing this week while Mr. A and I get used to having a very long-term houseguest:

72863_10201998592898919_1206082014_n

She was born at 8:40 a.m. Saturday, which already seems like a year ago, at just over 6 pounds, and she came home yesterday, during the coldest cold snap since the last coldest cold snap of this bear of a winter. We’re keeping her cozy by the radiators and trying to figure out how to, you know, feed her and make sense of all that’s happened to her in the past hours.

Thank you so much, all of you, for all the good wishes on Facebook and Twitter and here. They’re felt, and appreciated, and as soon as she’s old enough to drive I promise we’ll give her the keys to the crack van. (Which I wanted to get going last night but fell asleep in the shower, so.)

45 thoughts on “Kick, this is the Internet. Internet, this is Kick.

1. Hobbes says:

Babies – particularly new ones – seem to have this perpetually confused look on their faces, and it seems Kick is no exception. WHO ARE YOU, STRANGE PERSON-THING, AND WHY IS THERE NOT WARM
    Glad to hear everything’s going well! Or, at least, par for the newly-demanding-houseguest course, I suppose. Falling asleep in the shower is generally frowned upon in most standard definitions of “well”.

2. Sandman says:

She is absolutely perfect and beautiful and wonderful–congrats and blessings to you all!

3. FeralLiberal says:

She’s lovely! The bitter chill of this winter can’t compete with the warmth of your hearts.

4. Dr A says:

An internet rock star is born! Welcome little one! Your fans adore you already! And best wishes to your momma and daddy too!

5. Dan says:

CONGRATULATIONS!!!!

6. Chuckago says:

Beautiful. Congratulations!

7. leinie says:

She is so pretty! Welcome little Kick! Congrats, Mom and Dad. So lovely to say that.

8. frazer says:

Beautiful! (Parents I know of a baby girl say no one is allowed to tell her she’s pretty unless they also say she’s good at math, so I’ll add I’m looking forward to seeing a demonstration of her undoubted math skills.) And falling asleep in the shower is perfectly normal at this stage. Congratulations to you all! Does she have a name yet?

9. Robert Earle says:

UW – class of 2036

10. Geeno says:

Aaawww, what a sweetie. She’s adorable. And six pounds? She’s a little tiny peanut baby!
    My boys were 8lbs 1.5oz and 8lbs 6oz, but then I was 8lbs 15oz – so I guess it runs in the family.

butbutbut what did the ferrets do.

12. iceblue2 says:

She’s beautiful, Congratulations. Glad you are all doing well.

13. Maitri says:

“UW – class of 2036”
    Word.
    Good job, girlfriend.

14. M31 says:

yay! welcome little Kick!
    How excellent.
    My parenting advice: sleep when you can, don’t fret.

15. Ariel says:

She looks like she is already amazed by you. Congrats to your entire family.

16. Mothra says:

I’m with pansypoo- I want photos of ferrets w/Kick. As for food, I hear you just feed them whatever you are eating, just mashed up a lot with milk.
    Wait, that’s NOT what you feed babies? Well, that explains why no one ever let me have babies. Welcome Kick.

17. Harry says:

I’m very happy for the lovely little one. She’s lucky to have such wonderful people for parents.

18. Rmj says:

Oy! Congratulations and best wishes to all!

19. noblejoanie says:

Welcome, Kick!
    My take on the look on her face is she KNOWS that voice, she’s heard it often but sounding a bit like it was underwater
    Congratulations, A. So very very happy for you three

20. Gummo says:

Li’l Kick, I don’t know your dad, but I can tell you, you were damned smart in your choice of mom — she’s an amazing woman and I know you will be, too!
    Red-faced, wrinkled and confused — but somehow still beautiful!
    Mazel tov!

21. aimai says:

I think the computer ate my earlier comment. Thank you so much for posting that beautiful picture. There is just nothing more special–she is a total rosebud in appearance but I’m sure that like her mother she will be a force to be reckoned with. That gaze–that gaze back and forth between you and her–is the most powerful thing in the world. Congratulations to you and Mr. Athenae and little baby Kick, Great start to a new year! Mazel Tov.
    aimai

22. Escariot says:

Adorable!!!!
    [SIDEBAR: Falling asleep in the shower is an art.]

23. whetstone says:

So adorable–what a beautiful picture. We just passed the more-months-outside-than-in anniversary and it’s been absolutely wonderful. The best advice I can give is to 1) give the “Happiest Baby on the Block” stuff a try–it only works for 3-4 months, but it worked really well for us 2) if you do co-sleeping, a Kindle paperwhite is a lifesaver, since you can read without waking up the baby 2b) also, having a device that you can read with one hand is extremely handy. Having a baby really cuts into your massive-hardback-tome reading.
    Congrats!

24. Athenae says:

We already have a store of photos waiting to be meme-ed as “Kick is Not Impressed.”
    Thanks guys!

25. MichaelF says:

Welcome to the world, Kick — you’re already making it a better place by being here!

26. monkeyfister says:

Beautiful work, Allison. She’s just lovely.

27. jezebel says:

She is beautiful, A. Best wishes to you and yours. 🙂

28. mellowjohn says:

can’t wait for her first post. mazel tov.

29. Jen S says:

Congratulations!

30. Marc says:

Congratulations!

31. Sandia Blanca says:

So happy for her, for you, and Mr. A. Love and joy!

32. joel hanes says:

Maximum congratulations.
    May she bring you every joy.

33. joel hanes says:

“Once more the storm is howling, and half hid
    Under this cradle-hood and coverlid
    My child sleeps on. There is no obstacle
    But Gregory’s wood and one bare hill
    Whereby the haystack- and roof-levelling wind,
    Bred on the Atlantic, can be stayed … ”

34. Abo gato says:

Kick is lovely. Congrats to all of you, the adventure is ON!

35. Eric says:

Hmmmmmmm? I wonder what is going on in her mind behind that look?
    Perhaps, “Ohhhhhhh crap, my parents are liberals!!!”, or it could be, “I can’t see for shit, maybe if I open them a bit wider the picture will clear up some.”, or most likely, “FOOD!”
    Best wishes.

36. delagar says:

Without a doubt, that’s one of the best-looking babies I have ever seen!
    And so alert! You got a smart one there!

37. pacem appellant says:

Beautiful. Congratulations to you and the mister. That is one loved little girl.
    As a parent, the best advice I can offer is only accept advice from other parents who have a child less than one year older than yours. Above that, parental fuzzy memory kicks in, below that, they don’t know what the hell they’re talking about. 🙂
    Good luck!

38. Tommy T says:

FWUFFY BABEH!!!
    Tommy

39. montag says:

Coming to this late (I was spending a few days with the flu and having the world’s all-time strangest sickness-induced hallucinations), but, congratulations to everyone involved, especially that new world citizen who seems–on the basis of a single photo–destined to be observant, thoughtful and beautiful.

40. Tengrain says:

God is doing good work these days.
    Kick is such a great name, I hope it stays with her always.
    Regards,
    Tengrain

41. Linkmeister says:

I’m late to the party too, but not so late that I can’t recognize future wisdom and trouble combined in one very small person. Congrats to the entire family.

42. DrGanesh says:

Absolutely beautiful. Congratulations, and don’t worry: it’s amazing how no sleep can become not only tolerable but downright unremarkable because that face, my god that face.

43. nonquixote says:

Simply Irresistible, congratulations and all the best for you and yours.
    My babe always slept all night, maybe because of the nightly hour of quiet time and reading her favorite stories until age 10. Keep reminding yourself the tiny person stage is the easy part, age seventeen and not interested in getting a driver’s license, or deciding on future plans is a bit more challenging, for me anyway.
    Thanks for sharing your joy.

44. chicagodyke says:

forget it, J’atheneaeaeaea, it’s DiaperTown.

45. cgeye says:

“Kick is Not Impressed.”
    But, is most impressive.
    Love and strength to the family…