The brilliant season three finale of Succesion led me to revisit the first two seasons. For those of you who haven’t seen it, it’s the Murdoch family fictionalized and tabloidized.
Succession is either a comedy with tragic overtones or a tragedy with comedic touches. That seems to be in the eye of the beholder/viewer. I think it’s funnier than a ferret down the trousers.
As you can see from the featured image, I have a nickname/alternate title for the show: The Big Cringe. I should probably stop using slashes lest you think me a slasher or the guy from Guns N’ Roses. I do, however, dig his top hat.
Most of the cringeworthy elements involve the Roy children, especially Kendall, trying to please their tyrannical and manipulative father Logan whose catch phrase is FUCK OFF.
Be prepared to cringe as Kendall pays tribute to his evil father with some rich white boy hip hop:
As I cringed my way through two seasons of The Big Cringe, I pondered things that make me cringe. The news is full of cringeworthy things today, let’s look at a few.
- Owning the libs reached a new high/low this week with teenage vigilante Kyle Rittenhouse getting a hero’s welcome at some Wingnut-palooza.
- At the same event, Fox News host Jesse Waters advocated vigilante violence against Dr. Fauci. That made me flinch as well as cringe.
- Joe Manchin hating on his own constituents with his belief that child tax credit money is spent on drugs and junk food. He forgot to call them hillbillies.
- Dipshit Insurrection hero/victim Michael Fanone quit the DC Metro Police Force because he was harassed by pro-Trump cops.
- The parade of frivolous lawsuits: the Impeached Insult Comedian is suing New York Attorney General Tish James claiming that her investigation is mean. Alex Jones and PowerPoint Meadows are suing the Dipshit Insurrection Committee for the same reasons. The meanness to nice Trumpers must stop. #sarcasm
- News organizations who were shocked that former President* Pennywise made anti-Semitic comments.
- An editorial in the local rag entitled: A busybody Yankee congressman should not take on LSU coach Brian Kelly. The Yankee in question is New Jersey representative Bill Pascrell who tweeted this:
Today I asked @LSU about their $95,000,000 contract to football coach Brian Kelly in light of their tax exempt status. If you’re curious here’s the details of coach’s gigantic deal. pic.twitter.com/Ie19wbylCK
— Bill Pascrell, Jr. 🇺🇸🇺🇦 (@BillPascrell) December 17, 2021
Wealthy boosters running my alma mater also makes me cringe.
One story made me laugh, not cringe. The Kaiser of Chaos was booed at his event with Bill-O, the ghost of wingnuts past Why? He admitted that he’d been booooooosted:
— No Spin News (@NoSpinNews) December 20, 2021
I’m worn out from all the cringing. It beats the hell out of being so gloomy that I quoted a conservative poet in support of my liberal viewpoint. That was so yesterday.
It’s time for me to fuck off.
The last word goes to the opening credits and theme song of The Big Cringe: