AEI: In Case You Were Wondering, Still Scum

Dan McEnroe sends this along:

WASHINGTON, Feb 2 (Reuters) – The American Enterprise Institute, which has received $1.6 million from ExxonMobil, offered scientists up to $10,000 for a “policy critique” of the U.N. global warming report released on Friday.

The pro-business think tank, with numerous close ties to the Bush administration, denied it was looking for global warming skeptics to cast doubt on the U.N. report.

First reported in the Guardian newspaper in Britain, the program aimed to publish scientists’ essays to coincide with the release of the report by the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change, or IPCC.

The report found, with 90 percent probability, that humans caused accelerated global warming in the last half-century. It was released in Paris on Friday.

It’s not even noon and I’m already disgusted.

(And, “pro-business?” What business would that be, precisely?)

6 thoughts on “AEI: In Case You Were Wondering, Still Scum

1. mdhatter says:

hoppycalif – actually, that smell IS a greenhouse gas. no joke. ‘terpenes’ are an air quality hazard in the Great Smoky Mountains.
    “Smoky” from all the terpenes from all the firs and pines in the air.
    /chemistrygeek

2. hoppycalif says:

Pansypoo, you make a good point. I’m gonna lower my advance requirement to $500 – I hate to be greedy. I mean, my article practically writes itself. Have you ever stood next to a Christmas Tree? That’s greenhouse gas you smell!

In a line similar to Virgotex, I don’t find it news that the oil industry would lie its collective…
    What I find news that is reported but rather softly: The AEI is stuffed with Shrub ex-staffers. Not to mention that Shrub poo-pooed Global warming and had one of his staffers say that driving big cars was an American right. Shrub gave us the tax breaks for SUVs. And the oil industry is turning over record profits. $10k AINT NUTIN compared to their profits.
    And if Shrub was wrong and Gore was right, doesn’t that mean that we should go with them libbb-rrralllls!?!?!?

4. virgotex says:

I deal with researchers every day, and deal with other people all over the country who deal with researchers. There are hack researchers who will follow the money, and they will respond to this bogus journal or report or whatever it is. I don’t think they are the real danger- they are just hacks and hacks are always on the loose.
    The real issue, imho, is their affiliation. It will be interesting to see which universities and research institutions allow their names to be attached to this tripe.

did they forget most scientists are kinda smart? 10,000? who would be stupd enough to sell their integrity for a pittance?

6. hoppycalif says:

$10,000 huh? Well, I am certainly a well known scientist, with impeccable credentials, and I think I can cobble up some words that could be convincing to some people that climate change is all caused by an excess of trees – we need to remove more of those polluting pestilential plants! I will need an advance of, say, $2000 before I start writing though.