Uncomfortable

ABC’s Ann Compton makes Dick Cheney want to hide in the shrubbery.

Q Alan Simpson is your good and dear friend, many, many years.

THE VICE PRESIDENT: He is.

Q And former senator from Wyoming, wrote about two weeks ago in The Washington Post that he has changed his mind on “don’t ask, don’t tell.” He wrote, “My God, we’d better start talking sense before it’s too late.” Has your thought on “don’t ask, don’t tell” evolved and changed at all?

THE VICE PRESIDENT: Not really. My view of it is, more than anything else, determined by what our senior military leadership thinks is required, that the task of the military specifically is to fight and win wars. And the “don’t ask, don’t tell” policy is one that was devised with the leadership of the Pentagon some years ago. It’s worked reasonably well, and I have not advocated changing it.

Q You are about to have a grandchild born next month, I think —

THE VICE PRESIDENT: I am.

Q — into a family that won’t necessarily have the same legal standing in every state, in every legal respect. Do you think there will be changes or that, or should there be changes, legal changes in some of the laws around the country to better provide for a family?

THE VICE PRESIDENT: Well, I think traditionally these have been issues that have been managed or regulated by the states, and that’s the way I think it ought to be. I think each state ought to have the capacity to decide how they want to handle those issues. Obviously we love our daughters, both of them, Liz and Mary, very much. I’m delighted I’m about to be a grandparent for the sixth time. I’m looking forward to the arrival of a new grandson. And I obviously think it’s important for us as a society to be tolerant and respectful of whatever arrangements people enter into.

6 thoughts on “Uncomfortable

1. Scorpio says:

Well see there! He’s not worried that his grandson will become a Lesbian.

2. amberglow says:

he is worthless.
    and one day (i hope), some reporter will respond to him with this: “So, are you actually saying that interracial marriages should be illegal if a state decides that way?” “Mixed-faith marriages too?”

3. Paul in LA says:

“And the “don’t ask, don’t tell” policy is one that was devised with the leadership of the Pentagon some years ago.”
    Clinton, in his autobiography, makes the case that it was a policy FROM the Pentagon that they said they would support, only to sandbag C. at every opportunity over it.
    Here Cheney supports that interpretation of history.

4. Paul in LA says:

Oh, and presuming that’s correct, Cheney was indeed the outgoing SecDef who probably set up the sandbagging in the first place.

5. sparrow says:

Cheney’s views of States Rights in these matters is just like the South’s views before the Civil War over slavery.

Sparrow, I’m not so sure I’d use the past tense.
    As a past resident of SC, be assured that States Rights are still a hot-button issue and one doesn’t dare suggest removing the Confederate Flag from the statehouse.
    I’ve often mused on the relationship between the Timothy-McVeigh-type survivalist, the southerner who has a Confederate flag on their truck along with a bumper sticker admonition of the south rising again, and the Neocon. In some ways they are so close but they seem to be so seperated in social class.