DO NOT WANT

Noooooooooo:

LOS ANGELES (Hollywood Reporter) – The upcoming fourth season of Sci Fi Channel’s “Battlestar Galactica” will be its final one after all.

After months of speculation, the show’s producers are set to make the announcement at a press conference Friday.

Ending “Battlestar” with the upcoming 22-episode fourth season was a creative decision made by the hit show’s executive producers Ronald Moore and David Eick.

“This show was always meant to have a beginning, a middle and, finally, an end,” Eick and Moore said in a statement Thursday. “Over the course of the last year, the story and the characters have been moving strongly toward that end, and we’ve decided to listen to those internal voices and conclude the show on our own terms. And while we know our fans will be saddened to know the end is coming, they should brace themselves for a wild ride getting there — we’re going out with a bang.”

Okay, but actually, rationally, here’s my thinking. Most shows tend to bottom out after four seasons. Yes, X-Files, I’m looking at you. I’d hate to see it go on and on and on until Moore and Eick run out of ideas and then they’re pulling spec scripts and letting Angeli keep writing about women. SAVE US from any more of that asshole’s thoughts on marriage.

Plus the greatest sci-fi show up until Galactica, and I haven’t pulled the trigger to buy the whole fucking thing off iTunes yet so I can’t do a side-by-side comparison exactly, ended after five seasons exactly the way the creator wanted it to end, and that worked out beautifully (despite some fifth-season plotlines, Lyta, that made me want to rip my hair out), so I can’t say that I’ve seen it be a bad way to go.

PLUS, we are so having a First Draft viewing party for all you Chicago-area peeps for the finale. I’m not watching that shit alone.

11 thoughts on “DO NOT WANT

1. CrispyShot says:

Heh – I just sent this to A. before I checked to see if she’d spotted it yet — shoulda known.
    Ennyhoo, this is a good thing, sez I. I *hate* shows that should have an overall arc that never resolves. The few times I tried to watch X-files, I got too irked by the lack of resolution to get hooked. Same thing with books (by Odin, Robert Jordan had better not croak before he finishes the damn “Wheel of Time” series or I’ll… do something to his remains, and I mean it!).
    So, I’ll be sad to see it go, but happy that it will conclude.

2. troqua says:

I was disappointed with more than one episode this last season, so this is probably good news.

3. BuggyQ says:

Yep, I’m with the consensus–better to end soon than too late. I didn’t even bother with the last 42 seasons of X-Files, I’d gotten so bored by it. And I was a huge fan in the first few seasons. There’s only so much that a show can do with a given set of characters before it becomes ludicrous. I’d so hate to get to the point where we’re saying stuff like, “Roslin’s cancer is back *again*?!?” This show is way too good for that.
    And A, I might just find a way to be in Chicagoland, but barring that, any chance of setting up a Crack Van to liveblog the series finale? Just during commercials, of course.

4. BuggyQ says:

Okay, that was weird–is anybody else using Firefox? Does it automatically post without having to do the verification hieroglyphics? Not that I’m complaining, mind you. It’s just my first time posting from the new ‘puter and therefore first time with Firefox. If this is the regular thang, I’m likin’ it.
    Sorry for the random OT.

5. BuggyQ says:

Sigh. Never mind. Here I thought I’d found the Rosetta Stone, but I should have read a few more posts irst-fay. Anyhoo, thx for removing the verification thingie–much nicer.

6. virgotex says:

well.
    damn.
    I’d read the rumors, it’s not exactly a surprise but can something be a shock without being a surprise? Cause that’s how it feels.
    Shock.
    I definitely agree with the rationale behind such planned exits but part of me misses the good old days when television series kept on going, whatever, till they bloody well couldn’t anymore.
    So, BSG and The Wire both go dark this next year. Black holes indeed.

7. Athenae says:

Aw, man, The Wire too? I always felt the Sopranos got the kudos that The Wire deserved. What a fucking great show.
    Speaking of fucking, I am happy to see the Deadwood guys are doing another thing. I miss my weekly dose of Cocksucker.

8. virgotex says:

A, I’ve often wondered if you watched The Wire. I don’t think I’ve ever seen you mention in a post and it seems so right up your alley.
    As you know, each season has an over-riding theme. Last year’s was the school kids, the second year was the Port, etc.
    Well, this upcoming final year, the theme is going to be Journalism/Newspapers/media. I can’t wait. David Simon, series co-creator, was formerly a longtime homicide reporter for The Baltimore Sun.
    Re your comment re Wire vs. Sorpranos, see:
    While I flat out worship The Wire, I think it really couldn’t have been possible without the Sopranos, actually. And I think that’s true of a lot of the bigtime premium cable network shows. Possibly even Deadwood:
    I agree The Sopranos has lost a lot of its momentum, and at least last season was downright tedious (I’m basically just showing up now to see how it ends but I feel like I checked out emotionally a while ago with those characters),
    AND I f*cking hate that it took more than year off between seasons,
    I don’t believe we can over-estimate just how much this one show re-defined what was possible for television drama, seemingly in one fell swoop, after it premiered in 1999. Of course The West Wing also premiered on network that same year and I have to say it probably contributed to a one-two punch re substance, quality, and overall vision. The “I can’t believe this is a television show” effect.
    The Wire had it’s roots in Homicide, Life on the STreets. Homicide just blew me away when it was on but there was so much they couldn’t do on a network show. Watching it now, it seems so tame, it’s hard to remember how gritty it felt at the time. Then a year after the Sopranos debuted Simon and Burns created The Corner for HBO. As they’ve said, it was almost too real and bleak for entertainment consumption, almost too painful to watch. My ex, the social worker, flat out wouldn’t watch it, saying, “It’s too much like my work.” It’s my impression The Wire was a step from that level of verite to something that had a more engaging narrative and characters. Bleak as it is, The Wire pulls the viewer in. I think the retooling of the approach, plus the fact that an audience for that level of drama had been “primed” by The Sopranos, made the Wire a lot more palatable.
    Anyhoo, more than enough blather for me. thus endeth the thesis…

9. virgotex says:

damn.
    fucking cannot abide its/it’s errors, and I made more than one above. grrrrrrrr

10. liberalrob says:

What’s so bad about what happened with Lyta? Those are just the Talia Winters stories JMS had to cut when Andrea Thompson decided to go be a newsreader, and then had to leave out to get his major arc finished by the end of season 4 (when he wasn’t sure he was going to get a season 5).
    Have to admit I haven’t watched much Galactica since season 1. I just can’t take all the damn commercials breaking up my stories anymore (one minute I’m zipping around in space with Starbuck blasting Cylons and the next it’s Truck Month again at North Central Ford or Lobsterfest at Red Lobster). But those I have watched have been good. I’ll probably end up buying the DVD sets.

11. flory says:

I knew it was too good to last. They damn well better come up with a decent replacement.
    And I just may have to make some plans to visit Chicago next year…