Freedom’s Just Another Word for Get Over It Already

OMG WOMEN WILL USE FREE HEALTH CARE TO GET GAY ABORTIONS!

Republicans on the Senate Finance Committee are pushing for language
in health care reform legislation that would eliminate coverage for
abortion services. If this happens, many women could lose coverage for
abortion services that their private insurance currently includes.
Plus, millions of uninsured women will still lack a basic health care
service despite having been promised a better quality of life.

If these senators are allowed to deny coverage of abortion services,
the burden will inevitably fall on low-income women and widen the huge
gap in health status and access to health care services that reforms
are meant to remedy. Compared to their higher-income counterparts,
low-income women are four times as likely to have an unintended
pregnancy and five times as likely to have an unintended birth.

This is, natch, an outgrowth of the usual Republican nonsense of getting restrictions on something however they have to, and I have no doubt that with our 60 votes we can nowtell them to suck it continue kissing their asses as if their opinions matter.

But it’s also an outgrowth of the most pernicious argument against any kind of public health care plan, be it single payer or whatever watered-down half-a-loaf bullshit we’re going to end up stuck with after the Blue Dogs get done: Somebody, somewhere, will get something I didn’t approve of. Somebody who’s overweight, maybe, or smokes, or drinks too much, or took drugs once or a thousand times. Somebody who has been ignoring a nagging illness, somebody who should have eaten more vegetables, somebody who lives near a power plant, somebody who had a family history of something and gave birth anyway and now has the temerity to want ME to pay for her kid’s care with MY TAX DOLLARS and OH MY GOD THE HORROR I NEVER SAID YOU COULD DO THAT.

And the only possible response to any of that is the one nobody in elected office really wants to make, which isfuck you, you smug, self-satisfied, sheltered bitchweasel who thinks the only virtuous choices are the ones you made and that everybody else is scamming you.

I am dreaming nightly of the day when someone at the forefront of this debate points out that most of this wanking — about how women will use free health care to get abortions when they shouldn’t have been such sluts, and fat people will use it to get treated for their heart disease when they should have just laid off the cheeseburgers — is just people being judgmental dicks and YES IT IS THAT SIMPLE. All the people in this country who have made choices you or I might not approve of do not constitute a greater drain on America’s vast resources than a single week of either war we’re fighting, nor a single lifetime of a gazillion-year-old senator who works on Tuesdays and spends the rest of his company time eating oatmeal in the Senate cafeteria on your and my dollar.

The reason this argument gets any traction at all is that for years now we’ve thought of health care as a reward, as a sign of your virtue, as something you get because you’re a contributing member of society who works hard at a good job and tries on average not to drown in Bugles filled with spray cheese every night (mmm, Bugles/spray cheese, food of the gods). Health care is something everybody doesn’t get, so if you get it, you must be doing somethingright. Like eating salads, or exercising, as if people who do those things don’t ever get clobbered by potato chip trucks on their way to work.

If it’s not a reward, though, if it’s something everyone should get, then how on earth will you know you’re special? It seems all we do, in this new reality these days, is take away the things assholes can cling on to make themselves feel superior to everybody else. And if we want this to work, that’s how it’s going to have to be. Somebody you think is a totally irresponsible slut is going to get a free abortion, somebody you think shouldn’t have any more kids is going to get IVF, somebody you think is a hambeast is going to get blood pressure medication, somebody you think is a goddamn worthless drunk will get treated for liver disease. If we want this to work, people are going to have to look at those possibilities, yawn loudly, and say, “So fucking what?”

10 thoughts on “Freedom’s Just Another Word for Get Over It Already

1. virgotex says:

One of the hospital orgs contributing 160 bill to help underwrite the health care reform– See Biden’s announcement tomorrow–is the Catholic Hospital Association. I think we can assume that $$ is going to have some anti-abortion strings attached

2. hoppy says:

May I suggest that any health care bill limit payments to only those who belong to no organized religion? I resent my tax dollars going to support the certifiably insane.

3. evil is evil says:

Sotomayor is the sixth catholic on the supreme court.
    Newt Gingrich is a slimy little weasel but he just turned catholic.
    Now when Roe vs Wade is negated by the Pope’s orders there will be singing and dancing and cheering by all of the clueless.
    But when the major religions and the clueless finally catch on that the laws are decided by the Pope and a Supreme Court that has already proved they regard the constitution as a piece of paper to be ignored at will, it isn’t going to be just the snake handlers and holy rollers who go ballistic.
    You going to see Mormons and Baptists and Seventh Day Adventist make a recap of the reformation look like a joke.
    If I were catholic, I would move to Paraguay and change my name to Bush or Cheney.

4. missy says:

Discussing healthcare with my folks (on a 4½ hour drive to my 70-y.o. Dad’s orthopedist for his pre-op on his knee replacement “revision”), I heard a lot of this. Yes, we should all get healthcare, BUT. Obese people shouldn’t get knee replacements. Drunks shouldn’t get liver transplants. Meanwhile, we’ll find out on 7/14 whether Dad’s need for a new knee replacement is due to an infection – which he couldn’t control – or a mechanical failure due to the fact that he’s 6’5″, has abnormally long tibias, went skiing within 6 months of the replacement, and followed that up with singles tennis against a guy half his age.
    I love my folks, but the truth is that everybody thinks they’re doing the best they can. Playing a tough game of tennis on new knees will keep your heart in good shape, but may cause failure of your artificial joints.
    We all make mistakes. I stripped the cartilage from my “good” hip by pounding the shit out of it while pregnant with my son, walking 3-5 miles a day with progesterone loosening all of my ligaments and making me blissfully unaware of the damage I was doing with its magical anti-inflammatory properties. And the joke is that I was walking so much to try to keep the extra weight off my “bad” hip. So now instead of one hip replacement, I’ll need two.
    Like Athenae says, we need to forgive each other our trespasses, and just get this done.

ban high fructose corn syrup.
    prevention. shame the fatties.but not everybody win the genetic gamble.

Sorry Evil is Evil, but the reality of the Catholic Church in America is that papal pronouncements are pretty much ignored.

7. hoppy says:

For shame MapleStreet, you are condemning all US Catholics to He**! (Save me a good seat down there.)

8. Interrobang says:

FWIW, Evil is Evil posted that exact same comment at Brilliant at Breakfast under a different pseud. Dood, copypasta trolling sucks.

9. Dee Loralei says:

This made me madder than hell when I heard about it yesterday. Then I thought about it for a little while and decided if they can dictate this for women, then we can dictate that there be no prostate exams, screenings, surgeries etc for them. Let
    s get a bunch of women to daily protest outside of urologists offices, making men feel like slimeballs for visiting their MDs and getting needed necessary care. I think a little tit for tat might change the debate. Someone needs to write a Swiftian screed about it.

children need schools and eventually JOBS. abortions are cheaper in the long run you idiots. HEY! how about free BIRTH CONTROL.