Rand Paul: Wacko in Waco?

Baylor University is a Baptist school in a citadel of wingnutdom, Waco, Texas. It seems like an odd college for the son of a libertarian disciple of Ayn Rand to attend but Paul the Younger spent 2 1/2 years there. Baylor is not exactly known as a party school but Rand knew how to do so. In fact, he was called Randy in those days, which is confirmed by this weird excerpt from a story in GQ:

The strangest episode of Paul’s time at Baylor occurred one
afternoon in 1983 (although memories about all of these events are
understandably a bit hazy, so the date might be slightly off), when he
and a NoZe brother paid a visit to a female student who was one of
Paul’s teammates on the Baylor swim team. According to this woman, who
requested anonymity because of her current job as a clinical
psychologist, “He and Randy came to my house, they knocked on my door,
and then they blindfolded me, tied me up, and put me in their car. They
took me to their apartment and tried to force me to take bong hits.
They’d been smoking pot.” After the woman refused to smoke with them,
Paul and his friend put her back in their car and drove to the
countryside outside of Waco, where they stopped near a creek. “They
told me their god was ‘Aqua Buddha’ and that I needed to bow down and
worship him,” the woman recalls. “They blindfolded me and made me bow
down to ‘Aqua Buddha’ in the creek. I had to say, ‘I worship you Aqua
Buddha, I worship you.’ At Baylor, there were people actively going
around trying to save you and we had to go to chapel, so worshiping
idols was a big no-no.”

Nearly 30 years later, the woman is still trying to make sense of
that afternoon. “They never hurt me, they never did anything wrong, but
the whole thing was kind of sadistic. They were messing with my mind.
It was some kind of joke.” She hadn’t actually realized that Paul wound
up leaving Baylor early. “I just know I never saw Randy after that—for understandable reasons, I think.”

So, not only was Rand wacko in Waco, he was also smoking wacky tobaccky and determined to share. It sounds like some extra icky kind of pseudo-frat hazing to me. It doesn’t exactly make Rand a rapist but it does make him a creep of the first order. He’s into a different kind of tea these days but this is the sort of story that, at the very least, should stall his momentum in his Senatorial contest in the Bluegrass-n-Bourbon state of Kentucky.

What do y’all make of this weirdo story?

—–

8 thoughts on “Rand Paul: Wacko in Waco?

1. D says:

LOL! Stall nothing, this is boosting him like crazy with the young voters.

2. hoppy says:

It can’t be a surprise that Randy is a bit off in the head. This story about his coming of age has no effect on that perception. Now, if instead of a female co-ed, that had been another male co-ed, and one forced to disrobe, for example, that would likely cost him some votes. As is, this is just Southern youth being Southern boys.

On one hand, it sounds like a dumb sports initiation. Admittedly, while somewhat rare, folks are admitted to Med School on early admission (that is after their 3rd year of college) but they have to have an exceptional transcript.
    But if, after this stunt, he quickly left Baylor and out of the blue had an early admission to Med School without the exceptional grades, one could wonder what scandal was involved with him receiving special treatment due to well endowed family members.
    I’d sure like to know.

4. CybScryb says:

Sounds like a Very.Confused.College.Kid. In other words, the kid of kid that grows up to be a GOP politico, or a preacher.

shaare? taint that a black school? i think he had something stronger.
    SHARE?!?

6. montag says:

I suspect this will be treated, on the right, the same as Bush’s twenty-odd years of snorting coke and bottle-diving–just a youthful indiscretion…
    And, the chances are good that the Dems will use this as an example that dope-smokers are all out-of-control maniacs and thank goodness the Dems are on the offense and pumping ever more money into the militarization of the war on drugs, etc., etc.
    It ought to illustrate that people like Paul and Bush really don’t give a fuck about other people, but, that’s going to be the last lesson learned from this, if at all.

7. Tommy T says:

Joke actually told to me by a Baylor co-ed (the campus was fertile ground for townies, date-wise):
    “Hear about the man-eating tiger that got loose on campus?”
    “No – what happened?”
    “No one got hurt.”
    Tommy

8. BlackSheep01 says:

Tommy,
    I heard that joke, but it was about the Baylor football team, when I was a Tech undergrad.
    Baylor was and is a *partay* school, just not “on campus”.
    But the interesting point is how did Paul get an early-admit for med school? What *were* his grades at Baylor like?