Market Price

Rick Santorum, everybody:

WOODLAND PARK, Colo. – GOP contender Rick Santorum had a heated exchange with a mother and her sick young son Wednesday, arguing that drug companies were entitled to charge whatever the market demanded for life-saving therapies.

Santorum, himself the father of a child with a rare genetic disorder, compared buying drugs to buying an iPad, and said demand would determine the cost of medical therapies.

“People have no problem paying $900 for an iPad,” Santorum said, “but paying $900 for a drug they have a problem with – it keeps you alive. Why? Because you’ve been conditioned to think health care is something you can get without having to pay for it.”

Right. You shallow kids who expect everyone to take care of you so you can buy an iPad, you suck. Get a helmet and pay for your drugs like a grownup.

I really … I mean, on the one hand, of course these rich assholes don’t have any idea what it’s like to pay for meds with money that would otherwise be going to food or rent, but … THESE RICH ASSHOLES DON’T HAVE ANY IDEA, PERIOD, OKAY. I was recently on a course of various drugs that, together, cost about $500. That was WITH Cadillac insurance, mind. Five hundred bucks. One drug alone was $150.

As a one-time thing, that was bad enough. Monthly? For the rest of my life? That would have killed me financially. That would prevent me from doing anything over and above the basic necessities. Forget holding off on buying an iPad. I’d have held off buying MEAT. And I’m financially pretty lucky, at least relatively these days. What if that had come during 2007, our Summer of Double Unemployment? It would still be on the credit card, at some 18 percent interest by now.

I just … we alway have these dipshit polls, right, about which candidate you think really understands your problems? I always thought those were stupid on some level, like, I want the president to understand EVERYBODY’S problems, not just mine because that’s selfish. But I’m coming to realize that the true polling question ought to be WHICH PRESIDENT SEEMS TO INHABIT THE SAME PLANET YOU DO, and the answer on the Republican side is pretty definitively none of them.

7 thoughts on “Market Price

you’d think that Santorum would also know about the problem of the possible prices of “orphan drugs”. He certainly seems to miss the point that if you don’t buy an iPad. You might do without. You might buy a competing product.
    Even if he didn’t understand, as you pointed out, that is $ 900 a ***MONTH*** for a medicine (and there are a lot worse too. An Antinausea pill for after chemotherapy can be $ 2,000 a pop.) you can’t go elsewhere. You can’t buy a cheaper one. The medicine is protected as a Trade name drug for a set period of time.
    If you don’t get your medicine, you get sick and die. Most people would think that a bad thing.

2. Jay in Oregon says:

Where the hell did the iPad enter the discussion? Why would he assume that this woman’s complaint has anything to do with owning an iPad?
    People who have EVER had to juggle funds to keep the lights on and food on the table, or are living one paycheck or medical disaster away from being homeless, usually scale their hopes and dreams accordingly. As they climb up the socioeconomic ladder—assuming they live in a time and have the opportunity and advantages to do so—then they may worry about things like being able to afford a PS3 or an iPad. (I’m not saying that poor people shouldn’t dream big, but if you’re in that sitation you usually have a realistic idea of what you can afford to do at any given time.)
    And no, Rick, there is a huge goddamn difference between paying $900 once for a luxury item (and he has no fucking clue how much those things cost; two minutes on Apple’s website shows me that a low-end, refurbished iPad costs $399, and it would even be cheaper without 3G; a brand-new, top-of-the-line iPad with 3G still doesn’t cost $900!) and paying $900 for live-saving drugs. For one, the luxury item is usually a one-time purchase that can be budgeted for, or paid for over time on a credit card or on layaway. They can also be received as gifts, or bought used.
    Of all of the GOP candidates, I think Rick is the one that I would be in most danger of losing my cool about and punching in the goddamn neck (Gingrich runs a close second). What a shit-headed weasel.

3. Snarki, child of Loki says:

“the true polling question ought to be WHICH PRESIDENT SEEMS TO INHABIT THE SAME PLANET YOU DO”
    Oh, come on. Everyone knows that.
    Santorum comes from Uranus.

4. frazer says:

I really don’t get this. I would get it from some let-them-eat-cake proudly amoral jerk, but for someone who claims to be a Christian? You can’t claim to be a follower of Jesus and support Ayn Rand policies. You just can’t.

the rich need to pay or their health care out of pocket.

6. delagar says:

Not to mention it’s $900/month for the drug ON TOP OF the $600/month (or whatever — that’s what I pay) your health insurance costs.
    I mean, I doubt Rick pays this, or notices it if he does. But it’s a serious bite for some of us.

how has he paid for his kids? taint it lucky he can afford it or has AWESOME insurance.