Now Akin’s a Moron Because of 9/11?!

I really think New York has been through enough:

I remember September 11th, the rescue workers running into the buildings that’s about to collapse, grab somebody in a wheelchair, pick em up – they don’t check their IDs to see whether they’re important or not – they just take them to safety and run back for more. They by their lives speak as Americans of what we think about the value of human beings and how much respect we hold people with and also people who’ve been victimized, how we hurt with them and try to care for them and try to love them. And that’s the very special thing about our country. That’s what we have at risk right now. And that’s what – we have to defend that.

So now New York has to bear the burden of being Todd Akin’s reason to live. Now all the first responders (about whom the GOP could not, in general, give two shits) who half killed themselves pulling people out of piles of burning metal have to take on the additional work of supporting Todd Akin’s worldview. I swear to God, haven’t we asked enough of these people?

I’m not being flip here. I really do think it’s unconscionable, what we generally do to people in tragedies and disasters, making them into our Personal Revelations without, for a moment, asking how those people might feel about it. Their lives are their lives first and foremost, before they are lessons for others, and the minute you turn them into your dashboard saints is the minute the lesson is over.

6 thoughts on “Now Akin’s a Moron Because of 9/11?!

1. thebewilderness says:

Sinclair Lewis: Fascism will come wrapped in a flag and carrying a bible.

2. Kevin says:

Amazing. He is using us to make himself look as if he really cares about people? If you look at his voting record, you will see he voted against our bill being passed. HR 847 – the James Zadroga Act passed yes, but to have people like him use us ( I am one of the sick WTC Responders who fought to get the bill passed) to make it seem like they care about people not only sickens me, but shows how seriously hypocritical & how much they are willing to lie to cover their asses.
    He & a lot of others in DC are the reason we are in such a mess in this country right now. the lack of a moral compass in the people supposedly representing us in DC will be our downfall. they care NOTHING for us. Akin is proof of this.

3. Alger says:

What really touches me about this quote is that the key points can be applied to so many things Todd “Legitimate Asshat” Akin has taken a principled stand against.
    Voter ID: “they don’t check their IDs to see whether they’re important or not”
    Dream Act:”They by their lives speak as Americans of what we think about the value of human beings and how much respect we hold people with”
    Obamacare: “grab somebody in a wheelchair, pick em up…they just take them to safety and run back for more”
    A Principled Stance Against the Entire Republican Party Platform: “respect [for] people who’ve been victimized, how we hurt with them and try to care for them and try to love them.”
    It’s like the words don’t mean what he thinks they do.

4. Drivebyposter says:

“How can this tragedy advance my cause?
    How can this suffering advance my cause?
    How can this fear advance my cause?
    How can this body pile advance my cause?”-
    Anarcho-crust punk (something like that)band Behind Enemy Lines.

butbutbut those are humans, not zygotes.

He’s just saying anything to try to change the subject / dig himself out of the hole.
    Kind of reminds me of a Family Guy where the wife was running for office and found that she just had to keep repeating 9/11.
    As for NE MO, noticed on my drive that the Todd Akin for Senate signs are still up and prominently displayed. I can’t believe that the homeowners would want to keep the signs up.
    @thebewilderness – love the quote.