Pulp Fiction Thursday: The Crimson Kimono

Anyone detect a theme this week? I hear kimonos are comfortable even though I’ve never worn one crimson or otherwise. Perhaps we can start a whole new cliche: a blogger in a kimono instead of pajamas.

Samuel Fuller made hardboiled films for a cult audience. He was a genuine auteur as he wrote, directed, and produced The Crimson Kimono. It’s a tough-minded film noir, which is set in LA’s Japantown and features a Nisei detective. That may not sound like much but given the fact that Mr. Moto was played by the German Peter Lorre, it was a break through. It was also banned in some Southern states for a bit of interracial canoodling.

Here’s the poster:

Crimson Kimono

I love lobby cards. Here are two for the price of one. Actually, they’re free:

2008_051_1070

the-crimson-kimono-1959

As a hardcore Sam Fuller fan I thought I should post this:

crimsonkimono04

Finally, I couldn’t find the trailer online so here’s the first 4 minutes of the movie:

6 thoughts on “Pulp Fiction Thursday: The Crimson Kimono

1. Kevin says:

Wow. Thanks for this. I’m a huge Sam Fuller fan and this is one of the few I have yet to see. It looks great. “Sugar Torch” and “Glenn Corbett — Hollywood’s Fastest Rising Young Star”? I’m in.

2. JohnM says:

Thanks for the suggestion. I just added it to my Netflix queue

3. Adrastos says:

You’re welcome, gents. I aim to please and occasionally my aim is true.

4. kaleberg says:

It’s one of Fuller’s best. I went on a Sam Fuller kick a while back, so I’ve seen a few of his films. Not quite as good, but still more than accessible for a modern audience, there are also Pickup on South Street and Fixed Bayonets. The latter is set during the Korean War and has some eerie moments.

5. kaleberg says:

I’ll add that the Crimson Kimono was a much more sophisticated movie, especially for its era. Given the prejudices of the times, that’s a pretty out in front poster.

6. Adrastos says:

I love Pickup. It’s the closest thing Sam ever did to an A movie. Of course, I like pretty much anything that Widmark is in.