First Draft Feedback

Okay. We’ve been in these here new digs for a while now. We’ve run some ambitious undertakings (the NOLA trip) and the blog hasn’t been down for the count ONCE despite being Atrios’d a couple of times (knock on the wooden pony). But what I’d like to know from our readership is, are you guys happy? Do you like what you get here, and how it’s delivered?

We’re reader-supported, mostly, and one of the great joys of this place is the back and forth of the conversation with all you smart people. So what do you think? Want more of something? Less? What are we doing right? Wrong? What should our new merchandise slogan be? (Sorry, that’s Kos.) Do you want more Willie B? More ferrets?

Talk back, people.

44 thoughts on “First Draft Feedback

1. A., for the most part I think the new host works really well. My only complaint is that when I get the code to type in to post, sometimes I can’t read it because of the background markings. Is there a rhyme or reason that the code is hard to make out at times?

2. Like just now. I had to try twice to post, because I could not read the code.

3. “are you guys happy?”
    I’m in a perpetual state of pissed-offedness.
    Oh, you mean with FD. Nope, I think it’s working well.
    Of course, more ferrets and more Willie B are always welcome.
    (I don’t like the code either but that’s a TypePad thing and nothing can be done about it except to complain to them.)

4. donna says:

Needs more ferrets and more ponies.
    Maybe ferrets ON ponies, hmmm…
    I come here for the great commentary you all provide, and the obsessions. And the cheese.

5. dr2chase says:

Willie B is cuter than the ferrets, but ferrets are ok . I have no complaints (with First Draft).
    Oh yeah, ponies are cool, too.

6. Roscoe Domino says:

Nothing but Willie B videos. Twenty four hours a day!
    And ponies!
    OK, some news and weather.

7. Is the occasional Athenae bikini pic too much to ask for?

8. gregp says:

First Draft is always one of my top daily reads. I am in favor of ponies and ambivalent on ferrets and/or housecats.
    The Blush & Bashful color scheme, however, makes me want to plotz.

9. Dave in ME says:

I like the new site and enjoy seeing the ferrets.
    New merchandise slogan: “Fuck Republicans, just fuck ’em”

10. virgotex says:

Pretty much the only thing I don’t like, as in really don’t like every single time I’m here, is the color scheme and basic- template-ness of the template.
    But I realize that’s a highly subjective thing, and that there is a lot of utility in keeping things bare bones, design-wise. Plus you’re never going to find something everyone likes.
    Not liking the template/color doesn’t keep me from stopping by, and certainly doesn’t keep me from consuming and enjoying the thoughtful and informed blogitudinosity purveyed herein.
    Rock on.

11. Steve Balogh says:

I still look forward to Holden’s Obsession with the Gaggle every time I click over.
    I have to agree with virgotex, the header is very bland, and I don’t know how much I like the back ground color while I am reading. Those are just superficial criticisms though.
    Love the NO reports and commentary – keep those coming.
    I hope your readers don’t forget to hit the tip jar once in a blue moon… Oh wait, that’s tonight, better pony up:

12. dancinfool says:

Love it all, friends. I love it all. Keep on truckin’.

13. Jim Jenkins says:

Although I almost never comment anymore, I love First Draft and read it every day.
    Although the NOLA blogging is depressing beyond belief, I am so pleased that you folks brought on Scout and continue to point a big old spotlight on the utter failure of all of us to save an American city in crisis.
    My favorites are Holden’s Obsession with the Gaggle. Thanks to Holden I now have my own daily obsession. Also, I love reading Athenae’s ranks. The more pissed off the better.
    I’m ambivalent about cats, ferrets & Battlestar Gallactica but certainly not put off by them. (Fuck you Rudy Guiliani!)
    Since the old hamsters were put out to pasture, I’ve found the site to be very stable and have no real problems with it.
    Hopefully, I’ll be able to send another contribution soon as I highly value all of the work and passion that I see here from all of your contributors.

14. Jim Jenkins says:

Athenae’s rants, not ranks.
    One more thing. I miss you Tena wherever you are! More Tena, please!

15. virgotex says:

Capybaras, baby, capybaras! It’s the only way to go.

16. Geoff says:

I find the new color (purplish? mud red? ) very unattractive and, quibbly as it may sound, find I vist the site much less often because it is now so visually unappealing.
    Sorry, you asked.

17. Trillium says:

Please sir, I want some more – ferrets that is. And, oh yeah I like your new digs. (ponies and more cowbell would be nice too.)

18. BuggyQ says:

I’m with virgotex: capybaras are the way to go. Beyond that, I couldn’t be happier with the current version of First Draft. Scout has been an excellent addition, and Holden and Athenae are consistently good reads. I’ve really enjoyed the ongoing media/news commentary Athenae provides (and keep the column-whoring coming, dear goddess), and I am far from ambivalent about Battlestar Galactica–more please.
    The Crack Van has been a tremendously entertaining addition to the site. Election day last fall was even more delightful than I thought it would be simply because I could share it with all of you.
    Which brings me to the final point: I like the sense of community building around this place. It’s small still, which is good. Firedoglake has a similar vibe, as does Eschaton, but both of those are so big, it’s hard to keep up. This is why FD is my first stop in my daily blog-o-rama. I come here for the posts *and* the comments. Y’all are great!

19. More cowbell.

20. Whatever color you have is OK by me, I enjoy your bloggy goodness regardless of the wrapper.
    This old hippie fool is quite content to keep reading and enjoying the site as long as you continue to do the things you do so well. And if I wasn’t employed as 2nd Assistant shovel at the 3rd Level of Hell, I would contribute a few ducats to the cause.
    Keep up the great work.

21. squirm says:

Content-wise you’re doing great… though I do miss the old days when there wasn’t so much ‘read more’. Only half-kidding. 🙂
    The template is a good basic one… but the stylesheet needs work. It’s entirely subjective of me, but I find the pink color scheme a bit grating.
    The banner could also be jazzed up a bit, perhaps a photo of a desk covered in clippings, scribbled notes, calendar with “where’s my fucking gaggle?” post-its, etc. That would probably be a blast to set up and shoot, any photographers out there?

22. slim says:

Yes to more Willie B and ferrets, but otherwise you all are fabulous. FD is my first stop every morning.
    Thanks and cheers.

23. Maitri says:

As long as you change the Hurricane Katrina tag to “Hurricane Katrina & Federal Flood” I’m a happy camper.
    Don’t change the color scheme – it’s simple and elegant. (What are you people doing not using a feedreader to peruse this site anyway?)

24. Don Mahoney says:

My first visit each day too – I read FD before ‘E’ and ‘DK’ if I even get to the others.
    Site FD works better than Brand ‘E’ on a Blackberry!
    Obsessions, Rants rule! I think there’s just enough Willie B to break up the seriosity but leave me wanting more.
    Haven’t posted a Comment since the TypePad thing though. Not even sure this one will…
    The Comedy Central videos never work, but the YouTube ones do. YMMV.
    I scroll past the Galactica posts, I like the show but am afeared of catching teh Spoilies before I get to watch an episode.

25. RacyMind says:

I agree that your content is still wonderful…y’all are a great mix. Maybe a little more righteous Athenae ranting would make it even better…
    and maybe stick in somewhere the explanation of the blog title…
    And appearance-wise I liked the old template. In setting up my tiny new place though, I did notice that setting up a ‘denser’ format with larger fonts and closely spaced lines involved style-sheet nightmares. Go with what works – dont exchange creative writing time for CSS lessons, that’s for sure.
    All in all, First Draft rocks!

26. Capybaras? Feh.
    I demand chupacabras!

27. VictoriaB says:

I’m very happy with the template. The color scheme is easy on my eyes’ no complaints there. YMMV.
    More ferrets! More Willie B (especially with Scout’s superb video skills)! Cute critters are a welcome antidote to all the awfulness out there.
    All the NO blogging is, to my mind, FD’s most outstanding contribution to the blogosphere. Keep it coming, and thanks for your courage.
    Peace, V.

why can’t we get cheetahs?
    while the red is not pleasant, no biggie. but more just because willie. tho he’s looking awefulkly grown up now. sigh. kittens lose that 8 week fuckin cute too fast.

29. hoppycalif says:

Well, obviously, since I come here two or three times a day, and since I always come here right after checking up on the Cassini-Huygens and Mars Rover sites, first thing every morning, it would be hard to be convincing if I said I have any problems with the site.
    But, someone needs to teach Holden how to speak Bushlish, he has got to learn that or he has got to get used to being…in other words, he has got to get used to knowing that he has got to just understand …uh…whatever.

30. St Paul E Wog says:

You need some hot pony-on-pony action up there on the title bar! Love your site!

31. Andrew Byrne says:

The gaggle obsession is shared.
    First stop after atrios.
    I like A’s Howard Beale moments!

32. The_Other_Sarah says:

More TENA, More SCOUT, More HOLDEN, More ATHENAE!
    More ferrets would be welcome, as would Willie B Bienville.
    If you put “Writing is only real on the first draft” back on the masthead, I’d be in love. But I come here every time I’m on the Internet anyway.

33. GottaLaff says:

Love it all. Ferrets and all other adorable fuzzy animals included.
    Holden…LOVE, in all caps, font 72, bolded, underlined, italicized, even more than my obsession with the animals (non-human ones).
    And, of course, all positives apply to everyone else involved. Keep up the excellent work.

34. lb0313 says:

I think your new site it terrific – though my old eyes have trouble with the confirmation password thingy (I always see it wrong the first time…)
    As for the content – well, I am not an objective source. Scout brought me here with her friendship and her fierce allegiance to my city – and I certainly started out simply admiring the rest of you for your good sense in welcoming her. Now, well, I think I come here for the good sense and good writing – of which there is plenty – but I know I come here because you are all smart, snarky and just darn good people. (oh, and then there is the crack van with no detox option…)

35. lb0313 says:

36. lb0313 says:

37. lb0313 says:

AH – no password confirmation and look at the mess I made!
    Come back and see the compound post hurricane season, God willing.
    Sorry!

38. jim dunn says:

I love the content as always, esp. Athenae when she gets full sail on a rant. But, and sorry guys, I don’t like the LOOK of your site now. It just isn’t as welcoming a the “old” look.
    Love
    Jim

39. I hate the comment verification thing. Hate it. And I almost never comment for exactly that reason.

40. scout says:

I do believe the comment verification thingee is gone now…

41. scout says:

Oooh I was so excited about the comment thing that I forgot to say Thank You for all the great feedback…the kind and encouraging words and the feedback on how we can improve.

42. joejoejoe says:

I also have trouble reading the confirmation password thingy.
    Content is consistently awesome.
    I’d like a link to the Daily Southtown columns on the blogroll.
    I’d like a pony.

43. FeralLiberal says:

Will continue to stop by nearly every day. Do agree that the old site was more visually interesting, but it’s the content that counts! And you’ve maintained your consistant quality, you “have got” some great writers here.