How to Get Rejected:
1. Name your fictional city “Vamperia.”
2. End your title with “…of Destiny/Fate.”
3. “I’d like you to read my 400,000 word novel…”
4. “Here are the first three chapters, each of which is 80 pages long…”
5. Assert that there are NO young adult books with strong female leads, and yours will be the first.
6. Describe your thriller’s token female sidekick/love interest as “smarty and feisty BUT attractive.”
I have read that story. Many, many times. I think I WROTE that story, too, once upon a time.
When I was submitting this last book around, I ran across the guidelines for one literary agent who rather plaintively beseeched people not to send their manuscripts on scented paper. They also specified that they did not consider books about cats, or angels. No indication of whether cats and angels together, or cats which ARE angels, would have been acceptable.
Via metaquotes, from which all awesome comes.