Hangover Cures

Water has never done anything for me but made the situation worse.

I swear by a big glass of orange juice and a couple of ibuprofen BEFORE you go to bed. Plus maybe some potato chips of some kind. If I’ve had more than two drinks, chances are I’m gonna wake up with a headache even if I didn’t get silly, so medicating in advance works to head that off.

Course, it’s also good to have A BEER and not TWELVE. Especially at the office party.

29 thoughts on “Hangover Cures

1. Sounds like my kind of office party.
    In addtion to your idea of pre-drunk medication, may I suggest a good gresay coney island hot dog to put a solid base of buffer to the stomach.
    No eating out after the drunkfest though, it just makes things worse.
    The best cure for the inevitable hangover though, is just a little bit of the hair from the dog that bit ya, sex, whether with someone else or not, and a nap.
    When you wake up from the nap at 6 or 7, you can party real hardy until about 9.
    Farting up the coneys.
    Party on, Garth!

i have no problem w/ a teaspoon of amragnac and some wine. but then i don’t drink much period. i really hate to throw up.

3. Ray Ward says:

For hangover prevention or cure, I swear by Gatorade.

4. mdh says:

I generally administer an ounce of prevention around beer #3.

5. Matt says:

Watermelon. I kid you not.

6. bikelib says:

1. Weed
    2. Big greasy breakfast
    3. nap

7. blucas! says:

Take it from me, the lushiest lush that ever lushed:
    1) Get in the shower.
    2) Slowly turn the water heat up all the way until you have comfortably acclimated to the water at its hottest.
    3) Enjoy it for a few minutes.
    4) Turn the water all the way cold in one fell swoop.
    It’s basically a way to give yourself a giant shot of adrenaline and crank up your heartrate.
    Disclaimer: Cure may be worse than the actual hangover.

8. geor3ge says:

I’m an advocate of Tylenol, Tagamet and a bladder full of water before bedtime.

9. flory says:

As much water as I can drink.
    3 or 4 aspirin.
    Before I go to bed.
    Works like a charm.
    Of course, not requiring any of the above works even better.

10. mdh says:

Also, Berocca.
    That stuff is liquid sunshine.

11. racymind says:

Of all the beautiful things Athenae writes, this gets the front page at Eschaton? Some sort of trickster goddess must be about…

12. Gindy says:

Sorry to be off topic, but I just read this about a new disease cropping up in ferrets:

13. Rumblelizard says:

Take two or three multivitamins before you go out drinking. I always took regular Centrums. Does a great job of preventing hangovers.

14. JGabriel says:

Execedrin, Anacin, or any generic that combines asperin and caffeine. Plus a multi-vitamin, heavy on the B vitamins preferable.

15. David Eoll says:

My drinking days ended (for good hopefully) over 20 years ago. But, I used to swear by the following. Drink the tallest glass of water I could before going to bed. Leave another one (or two) ready by the bedside for when I invariably woke up at 4:30 in the morning. Basically, any time I woke up still drunk, drink another full glass of water and go back to bed. Almost always avoided a wicked hangover this way.
    The other sure fire way to avoid a hangover is to start drinking again. But, that way lie tygers.

16. Athenae says:

Gindy, eesh. Thanks for the heads up. I’ll let the shelter know, too.

17. Henk says:

When I was growing up our neighbors were pretty heavy drinkers from West Virginia. Every Sunday, they’d have a few people over for a late breakfast of cornbread, made in an iron skillet, served with beer and tomato juice. It seemed to work for them.
    I adapted that to beer and V8 in my drinking days. It worked very well, but could lead to tomorrow’s hangover if you aren’t careful.
    Wake a bake is another great cure. (Weed as soon as you wake up.) Your day will be shot, but who cares.

18. racymind says:

Add a squeeze of lime to the beer & V8. Perhaps a touch of Tabasco or other hot sauce. Michelada.

19. ecm says:

These days, my local Wawa’s bacon-egg-and-cheese-on-a-biscuit always seems to help out. (In addition to lots of water and advil.)

20. Repack Rider says:

It’s not like I never had a drink. I just never had a hangover.
    Why do people do that to themselves?

21. therealhellkitty says:

I have found that a 50/50 mix of plain Pedialite and orange juice over ice before going to bed along with some Advil will usually forestall the worst hangover symptoms. Take some with you and keep it at your bedside for the inevitable thirsties in the middle of the night.
    Some small items to consider:
    Tylenol interacts with alcohol in such a way that it can damage the liver.
    Gatorade contains no electrolytes; it is essentially flavored sugar water.

22. Glen Tomkins says:

What the science of medicine has to offer to this discussion
    Not a goddamn thing. We’ve figured out the biochemical basis of intoxication by, and withdrawal from, opioids, barbituates, benzodiazepines, amphetamines, etc, etc, etc. But good old alcohol, still America’s Drug of Choice? Nada, zilch, zip. The damn molecule’s too damned small to work by the sort of chemical-receptor model we have for all the other drugs of abuse. Some people speculate that it’s got something to do with cell membrane stability, but they’re just smoking dope — or on some other mind-altering agent we know a hell of a lot more about than good old alcohol.

23. oyster says:

This might be hard to believe, but the original McDonald’s “orange drink” (not OJ, and not the current Hi-C) worked surprisingly well.

24. VictoriaB says:

One packet of Emergen-C in 8 oz. of ice-cold water, chugged down all at once. Burp. Then drink another 8 oz. water.
    Works for me.
    Peace and happy new year, all.
    VictoriaB

no shit, RR. and drunk people are so tedious. guess harder to amuse sober people.

26. Chuffy says:

Tylenol will damage your liver if you mix it with alcohol…
    An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure…drink one glass of water per drink starting around drink #4. It will hydrate you and slow you down a bit…and you’ll pee a lot.
    Don’t fall asleep or pass out for a bit…alcohol depresses the central nervous system, so you will get a hangover from lack of oxygen to your brain. If you do pass out, sleep it off for a bit.
    Hair of the dog helps…a cheeseburger and a Bloody Mary work wonders. I’ve never been fond of tomato juice, so I’ll do a Mimosa or something carbonated. I learned early on to avoid pancakes…

27. pwapvt says:

Always eat a good meal before drinking. Don’t drink cheap (or yellow) beer. Have a glass of water every 4th drink. Have a nice big glass of water before you go to sleep.
    I haven’t been drunk enough to be hungover in many years, I don’t miss that morning after feeling.

28. oldschool says:

Wake-n-bake (aka Bugs-n-drugs). Roll out of bed, do some bong hits, then watch Bugs Bunny cartoons. Nothing better.

29. Robert Earle says:

I found the one absolutely fool-proof solution to hangovers about 20 years ago…I quit drinking šŸ™‚