Complete With Sombrero

Chickenheads

ViaUgly Crap, here’s a Memorial Day weekend grilling essential:

Dress up your beer butt chicken with our new ceramic drunk chicken heads! Just pop them on top of your chicken before cooking or you can even add them to a store bought rostisserie to dress it up! Choose from three versions.1) The Malibu – one Cool looking chicken 2) The Bug-Eyed Chicken – perhaps he is wondering where the beer can went? or 3) Southestern Chicken from South of the Border complete with Sombrero and mustache!

A) Thank God it’s complete with sombrero.

B) My Father’s Day shopping is done.

ps. The Amazon page also displaysthis, which, what the fuck, people? I swear to God, we need to bring back Home Economics because nobody knows how to do shit anymore without an appliance. It’s called BEER CAN CHICKEN, you need a chicken, a pan and a can. You don’t need a device, so take that 24.99 and buy MOAR BEERS.

14 thoughts on “Complete With Sombrero

1. A, I am w/you on the re-teach folks how to cook w/basics…! Years back, when I saw the ‘pizza cooker’ come out on the market I was like “…WTF?!?!?!” and then the ‘quesadilla maker’…again “WTF!?!?!?”
    How glommed up w/unitasking appliances can our kitchens get?!?!
    I will admit, when the “Margaritaville” machine came out – I was lusting after it…but then my better self came out of the fog and reminded me: two cups from existing stash, some ice, a decided amount of tequila, some non-HFCS*-containing marg mix (there’s a good one at Surly Table), some triple sec or Amaretto (depending on my mood and Crack Van activity) poured into one of the cups w/the ice… pour from cup to cup a couple of times to mix and then enjoy. There! Saved myself $300 smackers! I have become an ardent acolyte of Alton Brown as to the avoiding unitasking kitchen gear…except for my Belgian waffle iron – that is sacred. 🙂
    Elspeth
    *High-fructose corn syrup

2. virgotex says:

why didn’t they make little ceramic shoes for them is what I wanna know?

3. mdhatter says:

If I imagine my food smiling I have a real hard time eating it.

indeed. how can you eat things with faces. thank good we don’t have to worry about salad with googly eyes.
    i took cooking in HS and only learned don’t put hot oil back into plastic container right away(i didn’t do this, but somebody else). thank god i had a grandma that had inproved her cooking skills and had knack. thank GOD i have her knack and recipes.
    i don’t have beer in the house. should try that with a coke. i can do that in a stove. right? i gave up grilling. plus it’s a mini weber.

5. Interrobang says:

I can completely see getting a stainless steel tube to cook beer can chicken with, actually, since I’d be leery of eating a whole lot of chicken actually cooked with a beer can inside it. First of all, isn’t that some kind of paint on the outside of the can, and secondly, didn’t we all get rid of our aluminum cookware because of aluminum’s tendency to shed molecules into food at high heat? Thanks no. I use stainless steel cookware; I’d prefer to keep it that way.

6. FastMovingCloud says:

Oh, your Dad’s gonna love this!

7. joejoejoe says:

Beer can chicken makes me remember Steve Gilliard. It’s good to think of Steve Gilliard!

8. NotEating Paint says:

I agree 100% with the concern of heating label paint inside a chicken, then eating it. Is this paint safe? Beer cans were never designed to cook with. There are cheap devices (cast iron,stainless steel) that do the same thing much safer.
    With that said, this cooking technique does make a nice chicken.

9. mdhatter says:

The paint is not coming off the can. It just isn’t.
    At least not at the 200 degrees the inside of your chicken gets to.
    I’d be more concerned with using cheep beer.

10. mdhatter says:

and yes, Iam a toxicologist.

11. mark1147 says:

I read online somewhere in the past couple weeks that there’s a plastic lining on the inside of almost every food and beverage can these days.
    It was in someone’s coverage of bisphenol-something -type plastics, allegedly linked with several different kinds of cancer.
    Firedog folks carriedthis mid-April item on it, but it was elsewhere I read about it being in the many different cans made for all kinds of beverages.

12. I’m not a toxicologist, but I did work in public health (and in indoor air quality for five years before that, which is somewhat related 😉 — and trust me, you do NOT want to know what beer cans carry on their outsides. Paint is, so…! the least of your concerns, thereabout).
    The people who invented beer can chicken were looking for a Darwin award, IMNVHO.
    If you don’t want to waste the money for the !#$%^&#@! device, though, at least buy yourself a 6″ length of 2″ OD stainless pipe. If you get it at the auto parts store, all you need to do is dunk it in boiling water for five minutes; and it’ll be heavy enough SS it won’t implode from thermal shock.

13. NotEating Paint says:

Well I will err on the side of caution, I’m pretty sure (I’m not a toxicologist, either) heating plastics, paints and whatever else in/on the beer can is going to release some fumes at the least, not interested in the potential chance of any chems or byproducts in my food.

14. NotEating Paint says: