ass? ass! ass? ass! ass? ass! ass? ass! ass? ass! ass? ass!ass? ass!

It never fails. Just when I’m feeling completely cynical and bleak about the future of the country, of humanity — hell, of the whole planet — the intarwebz always manages to shake me out of it.

ViaNerdist:

So. To reinvigorate America’s waning interest in the space program, NASA has taken an inspired and admirable step; creating a freeware game called Moonbase Alpha where the player takes on the role of an astronaut working to resolve an emergency on a hypothetical moonbase in the not too distant future.

However, in what amounts to the Internet equivalent of forgetting to convert to metric, they assumed, in their naiveté, that people would actually use it for its intended and extremely boring purpose.

(best when viewed in full screen mode)

16 thoughts on “ass? ass! ass? ass! ass? ass! ass? ass! ass? ass! ass? ass!ass? ass!

1. Virgotex says:

“hypothetical moonbase” = 80s band name

2. dan mcenroe says:

I always wondered what it would sound like if Stephen Hawking told me to “Get out of the car, bitch!” Now I know.

3. “hahahahahahaheheheheheheheheheheheheheheheheheheheheh”!

4. Peregwyn says:

I am in tears. That voice is killing me.

5. drunken hausfrau says:

oh, great… now my kids want to do this, too!

6. Elspeth Ravenwind says:

I’m all for frakkin’ with the game, but I DEFINITELY do not want a Moon Base in reality. Isn’t wrecking one celestial body enough?

7. Jude says:

I really liked that. But seriously–when are people going to stop being naive about what will happen on the Internet?

8. I saw an IMAX Theater film on fixing the Hubble space telescope when I was in Vancouver last month. Totally inspired me on the space program. Of course, this was Canada and they made a point of showing everyone the Canadian technology being used in NASA (and IMAX is apparently Canadian as well …) A litttle dose of nationalistic pride doesn’t hurt, I guess.

9. Athenae says:

SO MUCH WIN.

10. virgotex says:

“I AM A POLICE MANG. WHAT HAPPEN”

I’m gonna have to look and see where I can get Hypothetical Moonbase.
    The disconnect between “being hip” by putting something as a computer game versus the computer game being really, really boring and even failing in meeting an educational end reminds me of when I was in high school. Those in charge of businesses and academia had to speak black lingo = well at least what they thought was hip slang. If they could work in “brother” every few sentences it would show that they were hip to the current events.
    In college, my roomate and I were watching a 20/20 type show where they profiled a guy testing understanding of black street slang and teaching how to use it. My (black) roomate went into hysterical convulsions at how bad he was at it.

12. mothra says:

Oh…I don’t know. I have my suspicions that the folks at NASA had a very good idea what would be done with the assinine project they’d been tasked to design…my money is on the NASA software dudes laughing their heads off every day at what “the kids” out there are doing with their game.

13. montag says:

That’s like a mash-up of “Space Oddity,” Stephen Hawking and Max Headroom. Funny stuff.

14. Interrobang says:

Oh god, what a nostalgia trip. (I am so old.) Back in the day, I had anAmiga, and its basic desktop program (called “Workbench”) had a speech synthesizer in it, which sounded very much like that one. I spent literaldays doing exactly that sort of thing. It’sreally fun when you’re thirteen! (I think I spent hours just trying to adapt my input spelling so its output speech most closely resembled my natural accent, which tells you a little bit about how nerdyI am…)

15. Interrobang says: