Today on Tommy T’s Obsession with the Freepi – RNC convention issue

Good morning, campers! Time to get suited up again and…hm.

Jude, are you realy sleeping in that, um, nevermind. Let’s crack the seal and see what’s bubbling and seething in the Freeper id.

Da Freepers loves them some Rasmussen – well, usually they do:

Rasmussen: Obama 51 – McCain 45 (from 49-46 yesterday)
Rasmussen ^| 09/02/2008 | Rasmussen
Posted onTuesday, September 02, 2008 8:40:33 AM byubaldus
Obama is up by 6 in today’s Rasmussen tracker, by 5 without leaners (48 – 43). It is obviuos that McCain had a very bad polling day yesterday, something like 42-53 daily sample or even worse.
Some of it may be statistical noise, but it appears that all the noise around Palin selection is starting to hurt.

It is pretty “obviuos” that the only poll the Freepers even recognize is Rasmussen. Let’s see what they’re so upset about, shall we?

To: ubaldus
I think Gallup has it now at 50 to 43
I don’t feel like checking…
2 posted onTuesday, September 02, 2008 8:42:21 AM byKavMan
To: ubaldus
Wow!!! I thought this would be McCain week. I guess not. Sad that McCain can’t even do well during RNC convention week. He better get his butt to work and begin convincing people he is ready for the job. I would not be as concerned if it was not conservative Rasmmussen…that is scary…they are always on target with these polls.
3 posted onTuesday, September 02, 2008 8:42:34 AM bynapscoordinator
To: ubaldus
Either that or the Hurricane and all the Democrats and Media discussing Katrina did it’s job and skewed people back toward the democrats a bit.
4 posted onTuesday, September 02, 2008 8:42:43 AM byCharlesWayneCT
And I had no idea what a hurricane’s job was until this moment. Are hurricanes salaried, or exempt? And now, from the Federalist Fantasy department:
To: ubaldus
What do you think the polling numbers would be if the MSM did its damn job and started investigating the Ayers story and running non-stop coverage for the next few days?
7 posted onTuesday, September 02, 2008 8:43:59 AM byFederalist Society
To: ubaldus
I have a lot of friends who are moderate Republicans and they as a rule, don’t like the Palin nomination. They were hoping for Romney . . .And now the base is upset by the pregnancy news.
34 posted onTuesday, September 02, 2008 8:51:47 AM bypa mom
(remember, this is BEFORE the Repubs decided that your 16-year-old having sex was a sign of good parenting)
To: pa mom
The base isn’t upset about the pregnancy
45 posted onTuesday, September 02, 2008 8:54:13 AM byKavMan
To: KavMan
Check out the pregnancy thread. There are more than a few throwing stones.
60 posted onTuesday, September 02, 2008 8:56:20 AM bypa mom
To: MEGoody
Nah, I think Rasmussen just blew it.Bristol Palin’s pregnancy is like getting a punch in the gut.
It takes the wind out of the GOP sails, just when it was getting in gear.
Plus, the Gustav storm took the minds off of the Republican convention… just when the GOP needed good publicity.
Up until Sunday, the McCain team had been masterful at releasing info in a timely way.
McCain and Palin KNEW they would eventually have to make this pregnancy thing public … they should have somehow figured a way to inform the public right up front, instead of having it look like it was a big deep dark secret that was outed by the left wing kooks.
107 posted onTuesday, September 02, 2008 9:08:57 AM byEdit35 (.)
And lastly, in the “Brief flash of lucidity” department:
To: TitansAFC
So I take it you want Palin to step down so Romney can step in, eh?
Roger that…
If McCain had chosen a guy with as thin a CV as Palin, we’d have thought he was nuts.
Romney was, and is my choice for VP.
O.K. start flamming…
137 posted onTuesday, September 02, 2008 9:17:13 AM byRiodacat
Well, it gets worse after that, so let’s move on to another thread and yank the cover off, shall we?
McCain Had Criticized Earmarks From Palin
LATimes ^| 9/3/08 | Tom Hamburger, Richard Simon, & Janet Hook
Posted onWednesday, September 03, 2008 2:26:02 PM bysteve-b
WASILLA, ALASKA — For much of his long career in Washington, John McCain has been throwing darts at the special spending system known as earmarking, through which powerful members of Congress can deliver federal cash for pet projects back home with little or no public scrutiny. He’s even gone so far as to publish “pork lists” detailing these financial favors.
Three times in recent years, McCain’s catalogs of “objectionable” spending have included earmarks for this small Alaska town, requested by its mayor at the time — Sarah Palin…
This year, Palin, who has been governor for nearly 22 months, defended earmarking as a vital part of the legislative system. “The federal budget, in its various manifestations, is incredibly important to us, and congressional earmarks are one aspect of this relationship,” she wrote in a newspaper column.
McCain also criticized $450,000 set aside for an agricultural processing facility in Wasilla that was requested during Palin’s tenure as mayor and cleared Congress soon after she left office in 2002. The funding was provided to help direct locally grown produce to schools, prisons and other government institutions, according to Taxpayers for Common Sense, a nonpartisan watchdog group…
[A]s a candidate for governor in 2006, Palin had backed funding for the bridge [to nowhere]. After her election, she killed the much-ridiculed project when it became clear the state had other priorities. She said she would use the federal funds to fill those needs.
This year she submitted to Congress a list of Alaska projects worth $197.8 million, including $2 million to research crab productivity in the Bering Sea and $7.4 million to improve runway lighting at eight Alaska airports. A spokesman said she cut the original list of 54 projects to 31…

(Excerpt) Read more atlatimes.com

To: steve-b; All
So???
2 posted onWednesday, September 03, 2008 2:26:56 PM byKevinDavis
Um – you forgot the “what?”. A reasoned discussion of the article follows:
To: steve-b
Tom Hamburger, Richard Simon, & Janet Hook It took 3 people do write this? No wonder they’re laying off people right and left.
5 posted onWednesday, September 03, 2008 2:29:30 PM byCrawdad
To: steve-b
McCain Had Criticized Earmarks From Palin
From, huh?
Snort.
Question for theLAT: Where do you get your staffers from, Jospeh Goebbels U?
17 posted onWednesday, September 03, 2008 2:33:37 PM bymewzilla
To: steve-b
Blah blah blah the irrelevant media fishes, take a look at the scoundrel Rats, Murtha in particular.
38 posted onWednesday, September 03, 2008 2:47:13 PM byboomop1
Well, that’s quite enough reasoned discussion for me – let’s move on.
GOP Platform Chair: McCain ‘Pushed Very Hard’ for Climate Change Plank
businessandmedia.org ^| September 2, 2008 | Jeff Poor
Posted onWednesday, September 03, 2008 2:35:01 PM byRufus2007
The GOP is making a dramatic change to its stance on climate change thanks to a “push” from presidential nominee Sen. John McCain, according to the 2008 Republican Platform Committee chairman.
Platform Chair Rep. Kevin McCarthy, Calif., spoke to the group of conservative bloggers at the Republican National Convention on September 3 in St. Paul, Minn. He said McCain’s campaign was an instrumental part in pushing for a plank about climate change, to the chagrin of many conservatives.
“One thing you got to understand, when it comes to a platform, this is the difficulty that you have – you have a microcosm of the Republican Party sitting there,” McCarthy said. “You have a nominee that has influence inside a platform, when it comes forward too. And you will find that John McCain has a very strong belief when it comes to global warming.”

(Excerpt) Read more atbusinessandmedia.org

To: Rufus2007
Uggg. Here’s a razor, John. Now give us a plank about the thirty million new citizens.
2 posted onWednesday, September 03, 2008 2:36:35 PM byLuke21
To: cripplecreek
One of the many reasons McCain will never get my vote.
6 posted onWednesday, September 03, 2008 2:44:10 PM bypissant
To: Rufus2007
Well I want climate change. It has been over 90 degrees everyday for more than a month and I am sick of it…oh wait its summer and I live in the dessert…never mind.
10 posted onWednesday, September 03, 2008 2:47:53 PM bysvcw
Emo Phillips’ routine about sitting in the pudding comes to mind when I read that last post…
To: Rufus2007
Dear John,
DONT DO IT! Its the biggest swindle ever attempted. PLEASE do not give this false science any legitimacy. Damn it John dont you dare!
24 posted onWednesday, September 03, 2008 3:05:17 PM byArchon of the East
Well, at least he’s not living in the dessert.
Ok – from the “open mike” department, we have this:
[Peggy] Noonan, [Mike] Murphy trash Palin on hot mic: ‘It’s over’
Politico ^| Sep 3, 2008 | Ben Smith
Posted onWednesday, September 03, 2008 3:45:52 PM byAlter Kaker
After a segment with NBC’s Chuck Todd ended today, Republican consultant Mike Murphy and Wall Street Journal columnist Peggy Noonan were caught on a live mic ridiculing the choice of Sarah Palin.
“It’s over,” said Noonan, and then responded to a question of whether Palin is the most qualified Republican woman McCain could have chosen.
“The most qualified? No. I think they wen tfor this– excuse me — political bullshit about narratives,” she said. “Everytime Republicans do that — because that’s not where they live and it’s not what they’re good at and they blow it.”
Murphy chimed in:
“The greatness of McCain is no cynicism, and this is cynical.”
In today’s Wall Street Journal, Noonan was warmer to Palin, whom she wrote “could become a transformative political presence.”
“The Sarah Palin choice is really going to work, or really not going to work,” Noonan wrote. “It’s not going to be a little successful or a little not; it’s not going to be a wash. She is either going to be magic or one of history’s accidents. She is either going to be brilliant and groundbreaking, or will soon be the target of unattributed quotes by bitter staffers shifting blame in all the Making of the President 2008 books.”
Since filing, Noonan has apparently decided which side this one is coming down on.
How say you, Freepers?? First, there’s denial:
To: Alter Kaker
Is this real or fake? The Kosbots have been all over this, so I’m inclined to doubt its veracity unless I hear otherwise.
6 posted onWednesday, September 03, 2008 3:48:21 PM byArec Barrwin
Then, there’s anger:
To: Alter Kaker
What a witch!
11 posted onWednesday, September 03, 2008 3:49:11 PM bybboop
Then, there’s bargaining:
To: Alter Kaker
Well, the insiders do not like an outsider…even if it’s someone in their own party.
What cracks me up is these people think John McCain would have been better off with someone else as the veep pick?
Let’s be clear..John McCain has been the underdog in this race from the get go, and he needed something to excite people…especially his own party’s base.
15 posted onWednesday, September 03, 2008 3:50:19 PM bysnarkytart
Then, depression:
To: Alter Kaker
Well it didn’t take long for the ‘Pubs to take over the Dems dirty work and send out the circular firing squad.
18 posted onWednesday, September 03, 2008 3:50:46 PM byover3Owithabrain
And, finally, acceptance:
To: Alter Kaker
I revere Peggy Noonan, but this was very unfortunate. Furthermore, it’s becoming increasingly unlikely that these people don’t know that their mics are on. Murphy is a doofus, and I guess we seen now why he was left out of this McCain campaign.
30 posted onWednesday, September 03, 2008 3:52:04 PM byMeanMachine
Well, oxygen supply’s running a little short (bang on the gauge for me, would you, VirgoTex?), but we still have time to yank the cover off another barrel of so-called discourse… Oh, look! It’s a discussion on John McCain and tectonic plates!! Make your own jokes :
John McCain’s speech: tectonic plates begin to shudder…
The Telegraph ^| September 5, 2008 | Mick Fealty

Posted onSunday, September 07, 2008 2:05:01 AM bySchnucki
Lloyd Shepherd (late of Westmonster) has a very useful note on the fact that the media has obsessed on the poor nature of John McCain’s often highly personal speech.
Lloyd:
“I’ve just finished reading Dan Kennedy on the media’s negative reaction to John McCain’s awful speech last night, and nowhere in it does he mention a very salient fact – that after the speech, Intrade’s price for McCain becoming president increased significantly, while Obama declined.”
He has the figures, so go over and check them out. They indicate something’s moving below the short term weather system of the polls.
As I have mentioned on a previous thread, I get a sense that all those fervent conservatives for Obama from earlier in the year are going to disappear and slope quietly back across the party lines just about now, now that the Republican party has chosen someone to make them feel good about.(Excerpt) Read more atblogs.telegraph.co.uk

And the Freeperati geologists say:

To: Schnucki
The left already has zero understanding of how markets work (not believe in individuals making their own decisions kind of handicaps you that way).
Add futures markets to the mix? They’re going to consider it black magic. Count on attempts to ban Intrade soon as they continue to prove correct (especially about the downfall of lefty messiahs).
5 posted onSunday, September 07, 2008 2:27:27 AM byBobbyT
Ah – elitists with zero understanding of the stock market – cognitive dissonance at its finest. I can assure you, my micro-cephalic friend, that everyone with a 401K is getting an amazing education of how markets work. And unfortunately for you, all the non-elitists are, as well.
To: BobbyT
I don’t disagree, but those futures markets had Romney at a 77% chance to be VP the night before the pick was announced.

Coulda been George Soros, covering his shorts.

9 posted onSunday, September 07, 2008 2:34:36 AM byQuestion Liberal Authority
Well, that’s more than enough for one go-around – the rubber gaskets are starting to burn through from the concentrated stupid, so let’s head for the airlock and get back to the real world. It’s been fun in Freeperville this week, but I also just had breakfast, and I don’t want to have an accident.
Caio!

5 thoughts on “Today on Tommy T’s Obsession with the Freepi – RNC convention issue

1. Pansypoo, when you said that, all I could think of is the scene in “Caddyshack” where…well…you know.
    And Elspeth – did you get moved ok?

2. Oh, Tommy, thanks for asking. The move is still yet to officially start. Next Fri (the 19th) is when I sign the papers, get the key and start dragging my stuff in! I am set to be done by the 30th. I am staging stuff at my Dad’s house as I get it packed, as he lives about 2-1/2 miles from my new pad.
    Packing is a beeyatch – I have too much stuff. If I were a superhero, my name would be “The Accumulator”…disabling the bad guys by building up a wall around them of ephemera that’s special only to me! LOL! I have purged and am doing so whenever I get the chance. My weakness is books, witchy stuff, New Orleans stuff, art supplies, movies and cake art stuff and cooking goodies (no unitaskers aside from my Belgian waffle iron, thank you Alton Brown!).
    I can’t wait to be in town again, tho’ – close to things, able to be spontaneous again!!! Gads, why did I ever believe the thankfully-now-ex-beau enough to move out to suburban hell??? The words of the wondrous Shirley Manson come to mind…”Stupid girrrrrllllll…stupid girrrllll!” LOL!
    Back to my proper place Urbanity! 🙂 Elspeth All you local to the Houston area FD peeps, buzz me! Any coming to visit, buzz me! 🙂